Chipping an old DMU

perfectionist

Hi all. I have just chipped my old yellow r364 dmu. I have put a hornby chip in each bogie as both are powered. My question is how to run the combined bogies. Do I set up as double header or what. I initially tried to give both decoders same id but when trying to save details of second one railmaster nicely informed me that it already exists. Also would it have been possible to only use one decoder and what would wiring look like.

One decoder is possible, the 2 motors having their orange and grey wires in parallel to the decoder, and the red and blacks from the pickups on each bogie in parallel to the decoder input.  Make sure you don't swap red and black anywhere or you'll cause a short and possibly blow the decoder, and if you swap orange and grey on the 2 motors you'll know as they will run in opposite directions and you won't get far.

But ........ the decoder must be able to handle double the current of a single motor.

I think I'd stick with 2 in a consist.

Thanks all. Pretty chuffed as first hard wired decoders. This dmu over 20 years old and got some stick back in the day. Gonna detail the seating and add front/tail lights next. Next decoder going into my son's old Manchester United. Wish me luck.

I've hard wired the tender drive Manchester Utd. Was quite straight forward, and runs well on dcc.

Thanks wd. That may be a job for this Saturday. Back to my dmu. Advice suggests keeping both decoders. However if I put the bogies as a consist will it automatically sort the direction of each bogie as in not trying to pull away from each other or push towards each other. Forgive me if this is a stupid question .

• 2 weeks later...

I'm assuming from the OP that you only have an eLink to program decoders with via RM.

Normally with an Elite you can program a second decoder in a DMU to the same address with no bother and I would have thought RM would accept twin decoders for addressing at least, although readback of 2 decoders at the same time could make it throw a wobbly.

Its probably worth pinging off a help request to HRMS from RM asking opinion and for this to be made a feature in a future revision rather than having to rely on the more cumbersome separate addresses/double header DMU resolution offered above.

Archived