Windows 10 Driver Update for eLink Info Required

ctr001

Hi, I'm trying to install the driver for Elink onto a windows 10 computer. Railmaster has installed but on start up it informs me it cannot communicate with the DCC controller. I understand why the message pops up as I cannot update the driver. In device manager the USB Serial port (Com 3) shows, right click to update driver and the message "most up to date driver installed" shows. In add devices and printers unspecified device CDC RS-232 Emulation Demo shows. Left click and properties show but no driver update window. Right click and no update driver window. Here I am a little stuck. I have tried to phone Hornby customer services but they are not open until Monday. Has anyone managed a new 1.62 version Railmaster installation on a windows 10 computer coupled to an Elink. If so please assist. Thanks for reading, sorry to mention windows 10 !     

Ctr, just about every other recent thread you can see in the RM forum is on this topic so you might try reading them.

Then, rather than trying to contact HCC, try RM Support from within the Help window of RM.  they are actually know what they are doing and should reply very quickly.

Hi, thanks for your reply, and yes I have read many of the threads about USB and elinks but most have lost there way abit. For this reason I thought I would start a new one.

Happy days, I managed to install Railmaster 1.62 and run locos using a windows 10 preinstalled laptop and elink through a USB port.

I'm no computer expert but I have learnt to try to understand the basics of what you are dealing with. I used the USBDriverInstaller in railmaster and turned off McAfee 

In setting, com port = com 3 and software updated, firmware updated and lococ all running.

So it can be done, use an elink via a USB port on a preinstalled laptop.

Thanks

Yes, the problem was fixed by v1.62, at least for most if not all.  A couple of beta versions were tested by people who contacted HRMS until they got it working and did the full release. i thought all threads had this info by the time of 1.62 release, along with a lot of failures reported prior.

As described by AC in some detail and by HRMS, the fundamental problem is a bug in the generic USB driver that comes as part of W10.  1.62 contains HRMS's beta tested and to date proven workaround for this problem.  And so far, it seems to have been fixed, although you can see from a recent post HRMS are still monitoring the situation. 

Archived