Short Circuits on 1.62

ColinE

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Re-installed everything, see my earlier post, and still have short circuit and usb recognition problems. Just to add to my frustration I cannot activate pro pack.

I have asked for help from HRMS and await their reply.

They must be pulling their hair out thanks to Microsoft.

Greg, my microsoft mate advises that a lot of makes of computers, still have Bios AO3, which is over 2 years old. He has found problems with windows 10, working with this Bios. Dell  new machines, still have it.   I know AC mentiones Bios updates, and this appears to be a case in point. john

John, Thanks for the suggestion. I did check this out and Parkard Bell's website says my notebook bios is fully compatable with W10 and no update is required. The only potential update was to the Wlan software which I have updated. Interestingly this seemed to sort out the not connecting to wifi by RM but it has now reverted to only connecting occasionly. Greg

I'm not sure if this is related. Yesterday I fired up RM, first time for a couple of weeks or so and was "invited" to download a new version "for minor bug fixes", 1.62.

I have read a lot about Win 10 and 1.62 giving problems but thought that had been sorted out. Anyway I am running Win 7 so downloaded it. After which I started getting "Lost Connection with Controller A.......error.......possible short circuit.....etc" message. It just kept coming back. So I found this thread and went through it and saw the "Controller=0" post from HRMS. So I checked my .ini file and found it was set to Controller=1, which I understand is OK. As it was painfully NOT OK for me, I deleted the line altogether, as HRMS said this too was acceptable. I had to take ownership of the file to save this by the way.

When I started up again I was asked to remove both power and USB connections to my Elite, which I did. I was then asked to reconnect the power, which I did. Finally I was asked to connect the USB which I did. After a moment or two connection to my Elite was restored and the error message never returned. I haven't rechecked the .ini file to see what is changed in there if anything. By this time I had run out of play time so didn't have time to see if everything else was working OK so will try again later today.. Had I not had access to this forum I would have probably been hairless by now. Hope this helps somebody.

Please excuse my ignorance but how exactly does one find the ini. file. I have downloaded the required file but have no way of knowing how to check this file.

Railmaster.ini is located in the Railmaster program folder. Thus, you have to have RM installed on your PC first before you can see this file. With a later version of RM 1.62 you will find a 'cog' icon in the bottom left hand corner of the 'Help' window (click the ? in the top navigation row within RM to access the 'Help' window). If the 'cog' is not there, then you do not have the relevant RM 1.62 version installed, there was more than one version issued.

Clicking this 'cog' icon will make the contents of the Railmaster.ini file both visible and editable in a 'pop-up' window.

Note: If you take the time to look - there is a whole section of the RailMaster user manual devoted to "railmaster.ini" explaining how to access it (pre-cog versions), what the entries do and how to amend them.

Nope, that didn't fix it here. What was beneficial was to delete the existing .ini file (I took the precaution of renaming a copy - just in case) and allowing RM to regenerate a new one. With "Check controller=1" the previous insanity ceased. It doesn't actually display the short circuit tile when appropriate, but I suppose that doing nothing is an improvement. Let's hope HRMS comes up with a fix in due course.

AM

Just to clarify. HRMS accessed my computer. They downloaded and copied the Railmaster.exe file only into the Railmaster folder. They probably did other things as well.

All I need to do now is find out what is stopping RM communicating with powerpos secure server or wait until some update to W10 fixes it. Antiviruys/firewall have been ruled out.

Greg, we don't think a Windows 10 update is going to solve your RailMaster's inability to access our servers (updates and licensing).  This problem seems only to be affecting you which would indicate that something on your PC is interfering with RailMaster's communications.  In fact we are certain of this last point having looked at RailMaster on your PC in debug mode and your log file.

Either software running on your PC is causing the problem or your router is blocking access.

The ini cog was introduced by v1.62 but a later version than the one you have obviously. Its not a Pro-Pack thing as I can  see it on Am-Pack.

Go get it from the link at the top of this forum page and install it again. It won't mess anything up by doing this (my fingers crossed well and truly).

Why they can't use a proper industry standard version numbering increment I don't know.

Taint that simple. when i went onto RM yesterday, it found no updates. Cos of location, internet is a problem. Dont want to go down road of shortcuts etc, so just uncross your fingers and advise how else to get there. How did we do it afore 1.62. thanks. john

The ini file is in the Railmaster folder John, which is in your C Drive Programs x86 folder.

Its called Railmaster.ini. Double click to open it, make changes and save as usual. Then go back and restart RM to bring any changes into play.

John, it won't come as an auto update as it is the "same" version but different.  Connect to the Internet then click on the 1.62 link at the top of the RM forum, download and install. You'll then have the really latest version which is more fixed and less broke.

You may also find the cogless method of directly amending the ini file a little more complicated than RAF says as you usually have to copy the file is elsewhere, open and amend it then copy it back.  Trying to amend in the RM folder often fails due to the way permissions are set up.  That's why HRMS put the cog in the Help window, to solve just this problem.  So it is broke to this extent, but the fix is sitting there waiting for you.

Having investigated this one a bit more, I discover that the feedback from the Elite to RM is in a bit of a mess on XP at least. Quite a bit doesn't work, or only partially works. I've been in contact with HRMS and the tell me that they have completely reworked the interface, they are aware of the problems, and an update is on the way. We can but wait.

AM

Archived