No Sound from 'F' Numbers

Newbie input I have a basic Western Master with elink. On loading railmaster I get the sound of a train through the speakers ok. When I click on the sounds using the f numbers  there is nothing. The whistle f button goes green for approx 4 seconds, as if it's working, but no sound.  Can I get sound through the speakers.? Yes I do have the box ticked for sound. Is there something else I  have missed?.

I'm pretty sure the Western Master loco does not have a sound decoder fitted, so the Fn buttons will have no effect. There are some sound files provided with railmaster which can be played through the pc speakers, but very few of them are the sounds of locos. The sound you hear when RM starts can be switched off if you don't like it.

Ray

As Ray has stated. The Western Master Loco is NOT sound equipped. When you press the (Sound) Function Buttons on your controller, a DCC (Digital) code is sent to the selected loco. If the loco does not have a sound decoder fitted then the command is ignored.

Google "Fitting DCC sound" to get a flavour for what is involved. Sound upgrades to locos can cost in the range of £40 to £100 depending upon sound decoder brand, make and model. There are other sound effect boards that can be fitted (cheaper) to a loco, but these are not operated by the controller function buttons. These cheaper units just have motion detectors built in that start a loco sound when it moves. For example a 'chuff chuff' sound for stream or a diesel sound for diesel locos. With sound you get what you pay for.......

Search this forum for "Sound", your question (or variations of your question) have been asked and answered many times before.

The inbuilt RailMaster sounds Ray mentioned are predominantly station announcements and do not include any loco specific sounds. You can record your own, or rip them from sound effect CDs and can play them from within RailMaster if they are saved in .WAV file format, but to do this needs a certain amount of computer literacy.

I would have thought that the only way function buttons come set up for sounds is when a sound loco exists in the database with its sound functions and the user has called it up in his loco setup list using the correct R number. By default if you are setting up a loco from scratch without an R number, there will be nothing in the function buttons unless you set them up yourself.  In fact we know that some on here, having bought a new sound loco not in the database yet have had to set up the sound themselves.

Is this not correct?  And not criticising Chris, just clarifying.

Perfectly good point Fishy, particularly as I would assume that the Western Master set is one of the pre-programmed sets included in RM. However, one doesn't actually know what 'photoclue' has actually done within RM. He may have modified the default settings, as he did state that he 'ticked' the option box for sound - this could be the the function button options for the W.M loco being changed from their default 'not used' setting, but is more likely the global 'sound' enabled box in the main settings (system sounds). Either way, he states the green function button operates for 4 secs when he clicks it, so something has been done to activate the button. We're also assuming he is referring to the Western Master loco (which is not sound equipped as standard) as this is the only loco mentioned in the post.

There seem to be 1 or 2 people who are determined to cause problems. They create multiple accounts by having multiple email addresses and then complain about something that to any sane user would be simple. .I suspect this is one of them, there is another one who has created a thread recently as well. Just ignore them and maybe they will go away.

Thank you to some of you for the information, I will treat myself to a train with sound, that will keep me happy. As to a repeated question. This is my first train set since I was about 12 and I am now 62 learning about dcc sets not someone who repeats himself.

Archived