Connecting DCC power track to E-Link

Hi,

I'm pretty much completely new to model railways, particularly DCC. I'm also Deaf, so I cannot look at videos on YouTube as I cannot hear the audio.

Simple basic question, which letter on the eLink goes to which letter on the DCC Power Track? Is it A goes into A and B goes into B, or A into B and B into A?

What would happen if I got it round the wrong way?

Thanks!

Garrettendi, as this is your first post, welcome to the forum.

With DCC there is no polarity. The track output of the eLink is a digital square wave that goes both positive and negative. Thus it will make no difference which way round the A & B connections are. Until that is you make a linked connection to another track piece (for example if you were to implement an optional power distribution bus), then it is important to keep the left rail consistently connected to all other left rails and the right rail consistently connected to all other right rails. The use of the left & right rail terms is just an arbitrary concept, you choose which rail of the two you want to term the left rail and which you want to term the right. If you inadvertently connect a left rail to a right rail, you will get a short circuit and the eLink controller safety protection circuit will trip.

It is fairly accepted practice to connect eLink A to track connector A and eLink B to track connector B, but as stated, with DCC it really doesn't matter.

Archived