Bachmann 36-557 21 pin decoder

jeb51260

For future reference, I think you will find there is nothing "special" about the 36-557 decoder, it is simply a 21 pin NMRA compliant decoder, and very similar to many such decoders on the market.  Even the number of pins is irrelevant as you can buy conversion harnesses to 8 pin.  This has a number consequences.

First, it will work with all NMRA compliant controllers.  This does not include Select, which isn't compliant and has documented problems with this decoder, but does include Elite.  Further, it has worked with Elite for years, meaning v1.42 isn't needed.  In fact it almost certainly works with 1.3, although the Elite itself works much better with 1.41.  So if you have v1.41, no need to upgrade it.

On the other hand, there is no need to use this decoder in any Bachmann loco, just because they specify it.  Any other decoder having at least the same functions and range of adjustable CVs will do just as well.  Now I'm not familiar with the LU train but I'm assuming all it has is a motor and directional lights meaning any decoder on the market will work.  That's the reason for the NMRA spec for DCC in the first place, so everything works with everything else, as long as everything is compliant.

I have now acquired 2 Bachmann 36-557 21 pin decoders and have not been able to programme them using my Elite. The red light on the Elite unit flashes in three distinct phases (normally only one phase) and despite trying several times the loco refuses to move when placed on the track!!

Either I have been sold 2 dud decoders (unlikely as they came from a reputable source) or the Elite cannot "see" the decoders or the Bachmann model itself is faulty. Could there be any other reason?

I have now acquired 2 Bachmann 36-557 21 pin decoders and have not been able to programme them using my Elite. The red light on the Elite unit flashes in three distinct phases (normally only one phase) and despite trying several times the loco refuses to move when placed on the track!!

Either I have been sold 2 dud decoders (unlikely as they came from a reputable source) or the Elite cannot "see" the decoders or the Bachmann model itself is faulty. Could there be any other reason?

Try programming them in 'Register' mode......page 27 of the manual. This worked for me!

Just to confirm that  the Bachman 21 pin decoder works fine with the Met S Class train. I did however start by fitting the chip upside down . I checked you tube on fitting the decoder and realised the error of my ways . 

Keith

Archived