Elite Failure

daveyplod

My Elite unit appeared completely "dead" on start up. There was nothing on the screen and pressing the buttons made no difference. I have returned it to Hornby who have stated "sorry, beyond economical repair". This does not help me at all. I need to know what went wrong so that I can avoid repeating the problem. I have asked Hornby for further comments, but would also appreciate any ideas that forumers might have. I plan to replace the elite with an eLink connected to my Rail Pro.

Davey Plod

Davie, did you ask hornby, if they could offer  any special deal on replacement. If not,  i would look on ebay. Whilst i have an elink, the elite is far more flexible, and does allow you to play trains  without RM, while it warms up. Also gives second way testing points, cvs etc. john

Oh dear - is this something I have to worry about? I am keen to start my new hobby (I am a total novice) and have had an Elite on preorder (from Hornby) since June this year. I thought it was to be delivered in September but it now looks like 14 December 2015. Are they prone to problems can anyone say?

Silver lady, no, very reliable. Have you looked at ebay. They are considerably cheaper, you could probably, get 2 for the price of a new one.   Magfan. what i was expecting was an offer from hornby, some type of discount. particularly if item was not very old. Any gesture, however small, would have been nice. john

How old was it? If out of warranty there is always the "Sale of Goods Act".

Over 3 years, so well out of warantee I'm afraid. Want to replace with eLink. Do you know if I have to uninstall Elite drivers before installing eLink drivers, or not?

BR Daveyplod

I think all controllers, irrespective of who makes them, should have a lifetime warranty like Gaugemaster offers, it is a lot of money to part with in the first place, and then if a unit goes faulty out of the warranty period it is further expense,

How old was it? If out of warranty there is always the "Sale of Goods Act".

Over 3 years, so well out of warantee I'm afraid. Want to replace with eLink. Do you know if I have to uninstall Elite drivers before installing eLink drivers, or not?

BR Daveyplod

You are still protected by the Sale of Goods Act within 6 years in England, 5 in Scotland. (Worth reading up on line) This is why warranties 'do not affect your statutary rights'.

The SOG act states that goods have to be fit for purpose and free from inherant faults. If the unit has failed without misuse, accidental damage, or through normal wear and tear, then you shoudl approach Hornby for repair / replacement. They are entitled to request proof that the goods failed due to an inherant fault, and, if proved this is the case, also have to cover the costs of an assessment by an authorised repairer. I would in the first instance take this up with Hornby, they may simply agree to a repair.

Archived