Requests for Additions to RailMaster Manual

RDS

I am a firm believer that a Technical Manual should have a very comprehensive Index.

Whilst the RailMaster Manual has improved siginificantly since its original issue, there are still some aspects (in the v1.62 version) that would benefit from some improvement.

Similar to the thread we have running to suggest 'Desirable Features' to the actual software, I have raised this thread where hopefully we can add suggestions for changes to the Manual and/or its Index.

For example:  

1) The .ini file is covered quite well on Page 32 but there is no mention of it in the Index. (also, the 'cog wheel' introduced in the Help window of more recent 1.62 versions requires adding to the description of where the .ini can be found).

2) Setting Up Locomotives is mentioned in the Contents on Page 9 but not in the Index.

3) Troubleshooting is covered on  Page 140, which is correctly covered in the Contents but the Index says it is on Page 139.

Every Heading and Sub Heading in the manual should be included in the Index and every item covered on the Contents Page should also be included in the Index.

It is quite surprising that the odd item shows the wrong page number in the Index, because most word processing programs allow the index to be generated automatically when a Phrase, Heading, Sub Heading etc, has been highlighted for inclusion.

As an ex-Tech Author I am often appalled at the standard of what goes for Technical Manuals supplied with some equipment.

The one for the Elite is a nice example of what a manual for kit at this level of complexity should be and the TTS leafelts are fairly comprehensive.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived