RailMaster Locking Up

I have not seen this error on my 1.62 installation (Win 8.1). Have you installed the VERY LATEST 1.62 version, there were more than one 1.62 versions issued. To be sure, I would download and install the latest version from the link located at the top of the RM thread on this website. This would be particularly relevant if your installed version of 1.62 was done via the automated RM update process.

I have not seen this error on my 1.62 installation (Win 8.1). Have you installed the VERY LATEST 1.62 version, there were more than one 1.62 versions issued. To be sure, I would download and install the latest version from the link located at the top of the RM thread on this website. This would be particularly relevant if your installed version of 1.62 was done via the automated RM update process.

Many thanks for the prompt advice, I will check it out Friday as I am travelling till then.

GWR, I have had the 'backup pop-up stuck' issue. To fix it, navigate to the RailMaster program folder and delete all the files that have a .BAK extension. Check and double check that the files are .BAK ones before deleting. With that done, open and close RM. New .BAK files will be generated and the 'lock up' should be fixed. Works for me.......

Erm, what issthe point of version nubers if a number of different versions have the same number? Seems very unporoffessional and confsuing to me!

So how do you know what version of version 1.62 you are using?

Michael, most of the time, the version number has a sub-revision number associated with it. So, for example version 1.62 revision (n) where n starts at 0 and progresses sequentially with each change of RailMaster code. To see the revision number, hover the mouse cursor over the main version number located in the little yellow box in the bottom right hand corner of the main Railmaster screen (near the clock). The sub-revision number displays in a little pop-up box.

The issue sometimes arises that HRMS in their eagerness to release a fix to user reported issues, overlook incrementing this sub-revision number. I'm sure that most of the time this is just an oversight by them, but as you say, it leads to confusion.

Take this current 1.62 release for example. If you have been monitoring the Win 10 threads in any depth you will be aware that HRMS made many changes to the 1.62 release in the space of a few days in order to fix user eLink on Win 10 handshaking issues. Yet last time I looked, 1.62 was still showing revision 0. If HRMS had been paying more attention to 'quality control' then they should have incremented the revision number with each new 'fix' release.

You may have seen some posts making reference to HRMS adding a 'cog' to the help window in RM to make it easier for users to edit their .ini file. This change was added just a few days after the 1.62 release went mainstream (auto-update) yet this slightly updated RM version still showed it as being revision 0.

Look for this 'cog' in the bottom left hand corner of your RM Help (information) screen. If it is not present then you do not have the very latest RM version installed (use the download link at top of RailMaster topic page on this forum to get it).

Just for the hell of it I re-downloaded and re-installed RailMaster from link at the top of the forum today. When I look at the properties of RailMaster.exe it says Date Modified 30/09/2015 14:11 so it would make sense for Adam to change the Updated date against the link to match - currently it says 10-09-15

Erm, what issthe point of version nubers if a number of different versions have the same number? Seems very unporoffessional and confsuing to me!

So how do you know what version of version 1.62 you are using?

Michael, most of the time, the version number has a sub-revision number associated with it. So, for example version 1.62 revision (n) where n starts at 0 and progresses sequentially with each change of RailMaster code. To see the revision number, hover the mouse cursor over the main version number located in the little yellow box in the bottom right hand corner of the main Railmaster screen (near the clock). The sub-revision number displays in a little pop-up box.

The issue sometimes arises that HRMS in their eagerness to release a fix to user reported issues, overlook incrementing this sub-revision number. I'm sure that most of the time this is just an oversight by them, but as you say, it leads to confusion.

Take this current 1.62 release for example. If you have been monitoring the Win 10 threads in any depth you will be aware that HRMS made many changes to the 1.62 release in the space of a few days in order to fix user eLink on Win 10 handshaking issues. Yet last time I looked, 1.62 was still showing revision 0. If HRMS had been paying more attention to 'quality control' then they should have incremented the revision number with each new 'fix' release.

You may have seen some posts making reference to HRMS adding a 'cog' to the help window in RM to make it easier for users to edit their .ini file. This change was added just a few days after the 1.62 release went mainstream (auto-update) yet this slightly updated RM version still showed it as being revision 0.

Look for this 'cog' in the bottom left hand corner of your RM Help (information) screen. If it is not present then you do not have the very latest RM version installed (use the download link at top of RailMaster topic page on this forum to get it).

Thank you for taking the time to clarify in such detail, appreciated :)

Archived