Not connecting to Elite

@Mike

Latest Elite firmware downloadable from the Hornby site is v1.42 so you may think about updating yours and seeing if that affects what you are seeing.

I don't have any comms problems at all before or after points are set, although my points are worked on a separate bus by eLink.

All my ini file additional lines are set =1.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you Elite is really 1.40, you should definitely upgrade its firmware as 1.40 has significant bugs which were fixed with the subsequent release of 1.41.

Dont know about the manual detail but HRMS put a comprehensive post in the Hoenby railmaster thread, now a week old towards the bottom of page 1 of this forum.  This explains all of the ini file requirements for both Elite and eLink. 

Thank you RAF96 and Fishmanoz.

I had previously carried out the instructions given earlier by Hornby Railmaster Support. However, I have now updated Elite to Version 1.42.Trying to update the Elite gave a clue as to the possible cause of the problems. I could not get Elite to update from my train PC, even after following the instructions precisely. It gave 'update failed' and left me with a brick! However, I was fortunately successul from another PC. This indicated some Comms problems with my train PC (which is Windows 8.1). Moving the USB cable to another USB port (from USB3 to USB2), clearing out (in software) all unused Com ports from the PC, and setting Com=1 seems to have fixed the problem as far as the apparent Railmaster fault is concerned. The communications from Railmaster to the Elite now appear OK with either the Hornby driver or with Windows own 8.1 driver.

Thanks again for the suggestions.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

Everything was working fine and then I did the update.  Now I get a box saying it can not connect to controller it could be the USB Cable or maybe a short circuit. When I click on the tick for it to try and connect I am able to use railmaster for about 10 seconds and it all stops working when the box returns on the screen to tell me it can not connect.  I have emailed Hornby but still waiting for a reply.  

Has anyone had a simular problem and found a solution to it?

Cheers

Peter

RDS, there's a hole in the bucket ..............

To understand why I've said that, you could go back to Pete's original post on page 1 which, for some reason we can only guess at, Sam has copied to here without adding anything of his own.  So no use asking Pete the question, all his answers are in the subsequent pages of this thread and his problem is solved long ago.

So until Sam either uses the green Reply button to ask his own question without yellow boxes or other people's questions, or starts a new thread to ask his question, we are only guessing as to what might be the problem.

And Sam, not being critical, just trying to help you ask without confusing us.

Ah, well spotted Fishy.

I had not realised that SailorSam had copied another post and I just looked back a few pages to see if he had posted on this thread previously.  

I just thought that SailorSam was actually called Peter and it was a new question - but of course now you point it out, it is on a coloured background!

Wasn't until I went all the way back to page 1 I was sure either RDS.  Then I went through the rest of the pages to make sure Pete's original and subsequent questions had all been answered and he was up and running.

Those Quote buttons have a lot to answer for. 

• 2 weeks later...

I am not one for posting on forums as I am in the same group as John but these updates are turning me greyer. Been through the power/usb cable, usb short, changing ini file (wrongly written in manual) etc. Eventually got to version 1.63 rev2 and all seemed to work with ini file items set to 0. However handhelds don't work. Android tablet ok with vnc program so ignoring railmaster app, android phone works for a couple of seconds then cycles through all ports and stops working, port was 80 but now 30, resetting made no difference. What is going on??

re above post,

Just been up in loft for another head scratching session, unfortunetly no change. All settings appear correct, the communication log however shows - 'unrecognised command', and then searches other ports. Elite and Railmaster on windows vista do appear to be running ok. Brian

Hi Brian, welcome to the forums.

Two major things to do.  First, go to the Hornby Railmaster thread in this forum to the HRMS post two thirds down page one.  Make sure you have done everything there, starting by downloading and installing RM again, even if you have only just done it.

Once all of that is done and correct, go to the thread on Static IPs, and make sure you have set that up correctly too.  I think there is a link there to the content in AC's separate site?  Check that out too.

If you still have problems, email HRMS from within the Help window of RM and see if they can find anything else for you.

And please come back here and ask any more questions or just tell us how it is going and whether fixed or not.

Archived