Problems with eLink poss firmware

I've been having major issues with my elink since I bought it in June.  Its been repaired and replaced twice but I still get the same problem.  My elink gets stuck in a mode where it is on a constant cycle.  The LED constantly flashes and the PC detects the elink but the RM software doesn't detect it.  Every 50 secs or so the LED stays on and the elink looses connection to the PC.  10 secs later the light starts flashing again and the PC detects the elink but the RM doesn't.  

When the replacement elink arrived last week I plugged it in and the RM software and PC detected it without problem.  Then the RM applied the firmware update 1.07 and again it developed the above problem.  Is there anyway to down grade the firmware?

Does anyone have any ideas before I chuck the elink in the bin and take up knitting as a hobby?

If you have the latest RM download I believe the eLink v1.07 is in there too and can be installed manually. I seem to remeber discussion about this on the forum a couple of weeks ago, maybe more. Either that or there was a link from HRMS to get v1.07 directly. Manual install may be the fix you are looking for Rhino.

Rhino, hi, welcome to the forum. There is a locked thread at the start of RM, which gives details on problem, such as this, but to save you reading it, there is basically a sequenceto follow, to fully connect.  Every time you turn on, elink, first, then wait. Next, turn on laptop, wait, wait, until all hard drive lights  have stopped, eg, until everything , every light has become stationary. Only, at that stage, click Railmaster, and it should go through, without bother. If it does not, turn offf, unplug everything, Insert usb lead, then follow as earlier. You need to allow time for RM, to bridge to elink. When i started, also returned an elink, then found that this method worked, hence, locked thread. Let us know, how you get on. john

Hi John,  Tried the sequenced start up but the elink is still in the loop of dropping in and out.  The comm port entry in the device manager appears and then disappears.  The elink does this even when its not connected by the USB and seems to be a state that it is stuck in.  The RM software thinks that the elink is there but you can't do anything, theres no power to the tracks etc.  Any ideas how you manually install the firmware again?

Cheers Mark

@rhino

as far as I can remember - locate the v1.07 eye file in the Railmaster folder after you have downloaded and installed the latest, latest rev 0 to v1.62, then right click and run as admin and as long as the eLink is connected it will install to it.

Rhino, someone will tell you about firmware, but the elink itself appears not to be connecting. Have you another usb lead. Comm port needs to be below 5.  3, or 4, is good. I would take it out the loop, totally disconnect, wait 5 mins, Reconnect everything, check com port no, all with different usb lead, even different socket on computer. Not via a hub. Hopefully, by then, an expert, on firmware, may have appeared. john

Rhino, really bad idea to try to go back to an earlier firmware version, you need the latest, and it seems from your original post you already have it.

Anyway, I don't think firmware is your problem, and your solution is already in the forums.  Go to the RM forum, then to the Not connecting to Elite thread (I realise you have eLink not Elite, do it anyway) and go to the long post by HRMS near the bottom of page 2 and follow what they say.  As they say there, this will 99.99% fix it for you.  If it doesn't, email them from within the Help window of RM.

Once you've done that, John's advice on order to start everything up is good too.

Hi, I have tried all the above and the RM will not connect.  Reinstalling all the software, drivers etc.  What I may not have made clear is that once the elink was updated to the lasted firmware by RM it immediately went into this loop of dropping in and out of connection with the PC.  The elink is in this loop state at all times, when its first turned on whether it is connected to a PC or not.  I have tried it on other PC's but once its in this loop state nothing will connect to it.  All the PC's see it but it drops in and out. 

I'm now at a complete loss, is my PC (bought from PC world off the shelf) blowing these elinks up?  Although Ive never had an issue with anyother plug and play USB device before.

Rhino, what i would do, is to telephone Mark Lodge, on 01843 233 525. Only speak to Mark. If he is busy, leave your phone no, and he will call you. He is Customer  services support manager, a very able guy, who will be able to talk you through connection, on phone. You cannot Get HRMS , on phone, but mark will  help. john

Oh, I hadn't read it that way John, only that it won't connect to eLink. If that is the case Rhino, just email them at support@rail-master.com and will still be fixed before Monday.

And if your RM and eLink have never worked since you first got them, then go to the 2nd locked thread and make sure you have done everything there including John's starting up order.  Or if that thread doesn't make sense to you, try the first locked thread which takes you to AC's excellent separate site which gives you more comprehensive detail on the entire setup process.

With those threads and assistance here and from HRMS, you will get it all going I can assure you.  If you haven't done it yourself, HRMS will arrange to log into your computer and do it for you.

Archived