RM 1.63 update

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have just lost every think I am realy fed up. 

What have you lost 52? Unless you have deleted them you track plans etc. should still be in the RM file on your PC. Please tell us more so we can try to help. R-

I have had two posts disappear into the ether. No profanity messages though.

That seemed to post, so let's try again.

I get both control windows, which behave correctly (except for Elite feedback on one)

The controller icon still says 'Controller A inactive'

The ini file says 'Controllers on top=1', as previously.

Can't see what the revision has achieved.

52, the only way you can have lost your own files, all of which are stored in the RM folder, is if you have physically deleted them or the folder.  Otherwise they will still be there.

However, to me it is quite unclear what you have done to apparently lose everything.  Could you please explain step by step. Including why you need to "unlock the CD".

The only thing I can think you might have done is to use the Windows Uninstall a Program feature without first deactivating the software, in which case you need to email HRMS from within the Help window of RM and explain and they can deactivate your license code so you can reactivate.  And yes, if the uninstall deleted the RM folder, or you did, you've lost the lot.  To avoid this happening again, don't uninstall the program, it is not necessary.  And how to save all your track plans, programs and locos is all explained in the manual, or can be done simply from within the program if you have ProPack.

Oh, and if you need to reinstall, don't do it from the CD, throw that away, do it from the link at the top of the RM forum as that is the latest.

Problem solved - I rebooted everything, and (so far) I have been unable to reproduce the bug. I don't know what caused the problem (because I rebooted everything at once rather than one at a time), but it was a  great help knowing that it seemed to be local, rather than general, bug. Thanks everyone who assisted. Pretty painless fix that one :-)

AM

@ray

i have all three set =1 and also have no comms problems.

i haven't looked for the new line yet.

a question I posed a while back and no answer yet is what do you set these values to when you have two controllers?

rm is peculiar in that when it opens these little Windows they are outside the program window not part of it so if you minimise rm there they are - as you say lurking in the background and still active. This also applies to a fault report window as well as throttles, etc.

i would suggest this controllers on top is precisely to stop the throttles submerging like that.

Hi Ray, I don't have "Controllers on top" in my .ini file at all. The other much talked about settings for Alternative Comms, Check Controller and Elite Feedback are all set to "1". R-

I find that if I click the small loco controller to open up its large brother, the click on something on the main RM window e.g. switch a point or run a program, the large controller window disappears. 

Ray

Curious Ray, I have just opened one and then two large throttles and operated points. In the first instance (one throttle) and then in the second (both throttles) they stay visible on the top of the track plan. What happens with your set-up if there is no Controllers on top =1 line?R-

In October I downloaded 1.63 and had problems with the accelerate/decelerate against time command in programs as well as a general instability in manual usage. I reverted to 1.62 which operated ok but the connection to the e-link was less stable on reverting with the odd yellow flash from the connection indicator which I didn't have before. I wondered at the time if the e-link firmware had been updated at the same time causing the slight problem.

I've been following this thread for a month since then and after the latest revision 2 I thought the connection instability problems had been solved so I've just redownloaded 1.63, confirming the ini file settings are correct. What a mistake, it seems more unstable now than it was a month ago and has rendered manual control extremely unreliable and the accelerate/decelerate command against time still overruns due to the connection instability. I'm going to request help from HRMS this afternoon as my system is unusable at the moment. Is anyone else still in this situation?

Colin E. I can confirm that I am still having accelerate/decelerate  to problems. Reported to HRMS, waiting for them  to sort it out. I have also noticed that on occasion communication to the E link is lost for up to 5 seconds until check controller resets communication. A pain if a potential crash might happen during that five seconds!

Hi Ray, I don't have "Controllers on top" in my .ini file at all. The other much talked about settings for Alternative Comms, Check Controller and Elite Feedback are all set to "1". R-

I find that if I click the small loco controller to open up its large brother, the click on something on the main RM window e.g. switch a point or run a program, the large controller window disappears. 

Ray

Curious Ray, I have just opened one and then two large throttles and operated points. In the first instance (one throttle) and then in the second (both throttles) they stay visible on the top of the track plan. What happens with your set-up if there is no Controllers on top =1 line?R-

Hi Roger,

Just had a disaster. My RM pc has given up the ghost :-(

I've just ordered a new pc base unit which should be delivered tomorrow, so I won't be able to try anything out for a day or two. I'll get back to you when I can.

Ray

Just to confirm:

I downloaded latest RM revision again this morning - still shows as Rev2 - and had to insert the controllers on top line into my ini file.

Controllers do now stay on top and if you minimise the main screen and then restore it the controllers stay on top.

Can't comment on the accel/decell issue as I have no programs with that element in them at present, just simple go to shunt or cruise, etc, which seem to work fine by way of RM/Elite..

None of my other issues have been fixed yet it seems - as reported earlier. 

I e-mailed RM after my previous post and got the standard reply about deleting driver etc which I followed to the letter including checking the ini file, com ports, baud rates etc and then ran another session. Another failed attempt, on manual control I had to switch track power off twice to prevent crashes (I had previously fitted an emergency cut-out switch into the track feed cable) and the accelerate/decelerate problem remains, both problems are the same as GWR Gregs so I'm not the only one with these problems which is reasuring it's not just my mistake. I attempted another running session yesterday afternoon with the same result. I e-mailed RM requesting a link so I could revert to 1.62 which is so useable compared to 1.63. I'm still waiting a reply. 

Hi Fish,  I downloaded 1.63 Rev 2 on Thursday to make sure I had the latest update then. Afterwards I thought about the problem and realised 1.63 was brought out to correct a bug caused by Windows 10 so I wondered if the problem would disappear on a Windows 10 laptop. I transferred my RM to my new laptop which incidentally is much faster and the problem persisted so that's three computers all with the same result. I haven't had any problems loading drivers other than com port and baud rate changes and I've followed RM instructions on connection. I'm was then wondering if it could be my e-link but then I read Gregs post and he has the same problem.

Then I would say you should definitely contact HRMS then Colin.

I did some 'calm' testing this morning to try and understand a bit more about what's happening. I've forwarded my findings to RM in case it may help them.  I discovered that point operations by themselves (no locos running) cause no disconnects or problems whatsoever regardless of how rapidly they are operated, the connection indicator stays dark at all times. The direction, shunt, cruise and stop controls cause the connection indicator to flash to light green briefly once per operation but doesn't cause loss of control. The throttle slider causes one flash of light green per speed step, rapid increases or decreases of the slider seem to cause the system to go into 'panic' and the connection indicator to goes to light green for a random period of time with total loss of control including the 'all stop' button. This probably explains why the accelerate/decelerate against time commands cause such a problem in programs.

Ray

Hi Roger,

New pc installed over weekend and running ok using Windows 10 + RM 1.63 rev 2. I can now answer your question. When the parameter "Controllers on top" is completely removed from the INI file, then a large throttle window will stay on top (it's even on top of this Microsoft Edge browser window in which I am typing). So the default value appears to be =1.

Ray

When the parameter "Controllers on top" is completely removed from the INI file, then a large throttle window will stay on top ........ ......... ........ So the default value appears to be =1.

Ray

That is how I have mine set Ray. I think there are others with this setting as well. R-

Archived