Which decoder

choo choo1707821159

Hi All,

just getting started back into the hobby after a few years of a break.

Just wondering, i have the smokey joe and want to dcc it.

which decoder would be best as i dont understand the differences between these two, R8249 Locomotive Decoder or R8245 Sapphire Decoder.

Not looking to run lights or sounds, just run the train.

Thanks guys.

shane

I've seen the 0-4-0 guide and I've been pointing out for literally years that it's wrong.  It shows as really complicated as you have to remove the motor as it is mounted with its connectors down.  In fact in the last couple of years, the motor is mounted with connectors up so doesn't have to be removed.  All you have to do is unsolder everything from motor connectors and throw away all suppression components, capacitors and inductors.  Now solder pickup wires from each side to decoder red and black and decoder orange and grey to motor connections.  Put body back, it's done!

You may want to look at some inexpensive [other brand, American] decoders, particularly those for N scale, for size reasons. The R8249 has no "speed matching" CV's, if you ever might be interested in doubleheading with another loco. Even one of the cheapest ($18.00 American, around 13 GBP) has start voltage (CV2), max speed (CV5), and mid speed (CV6). This allows almost total control of how engine responds to the throttle settings. This same [other brand-American made] decoder also offers the F6 function which switches to "shunting mode", which cuts loco speed in half for precise slow-speed running (also, almost like a "brake" to slow engine rapidly). F6 also disables accel and decel settings for switching. Much more "bang for the buck" if these features interest you. Can I say the name on here? Of course, if you're not interested in these features, the 8249 works just fine.....

@ Wobblin............why not consider the Hattons MD4 decoder, £10. Has 4 functions, rated at 1.1 amp, addresses all the CV's you mentioned, back EMF and meets full NMRA DCC specs and size is only..18.5mm x 10.5mm x 4.8mm. A very usefull option. HB.

@ Wobblin............why not consider the Hattons MD4 decoder, £10. Has 4 functions, rated at 1.1 amp, addresses all the CV's you mentioned, back EMF and meets full NMRA DCC specs and size is only..18.5mm x 10.5mm x 4.8mm. A very usefull option. HB.

Thanks, didn't know about that one. I, being in the US, buy a lot of Digitrax. Heck of a decoder for the money. I'm sure there's a good possibility that Digitrax makes the one for Hattons. Especially if the functions are identical. I have one loco with the R8249 in it. Works great, but I can't doublehead it with anything else I have, due to it's limitations. Loco doesn't even hardly move until speed step 15, while all my others are programmed to begin to creep at speed step ONE.

Archived