Searching Elite by loco names

pidder

Honest answer is I don't know......it's not a feature I use.

I would think (only a theory) that once Favourites is enabled as per page 46. You press the Elite controller knob you want to use, then press the Elite 'Loco' button, then rotate the previously pressed controller knob and the display scrolls through the Favourites list, then once the name you want is displayed, you press the controller knob again to confirm and select it.

Well that was my interpretation of the manual.....

Given you stated previously that your Elite is still firmware 1.3. It may be that what you want to do is supported in the 1.4x release. But if that was the case, then it would be illogical that you can still configure Favourite names. If you can configure the names, then there must be a way of seeing them.

Chrissaff  I begin to suspect that, in fact, no one has tried to actually use the favourites to access by name, as I have done what you suggest but the controller only scrolls through the numbers of the locos, I just can't find a way to scroll the names.  I shall have to read the two, i.e. old and new, manuals more thoroughly.

Further to my previous, a Google search produced a discussion within this forum back in October 2012 on this subject which revealed that scrolling by name through the favourites list is NOT possible. Also was considered for the 1.41 update but was not included for some obscure reason. Only way to scroll by name seems to be via the Escape button, which apparently keeps note of the last 10 locos accessed via that knob, i.e. 1 or 2. I have not tried this method, but it does seem even 1.41 is not able to do what I want. I rest my case... 

Pidder, I do remember reading the bit about repeatedly pressing the escape button to see recently used locos. If that is the ONLY way in which the loco name can be viewed and also given that doing a reset of the Elite clears the named lists, then it seems somewhat a pointless feature as you alluded to in a previous post.

Elsewhere on this forum HRMS have stated that there is very limited memory space in the Elite for developing new Firmware features. This may be an insurmountable barrier to such a feature being developed within the constraints of the current Elite hardware. Maybe Hornby need to consider bringing an Elite Mark II to market with greater future proofing potential.

Pidder, have you considered upgrading your Elite by adding RailMaster to it. In RM, not only can you name your locos, you can select them via names or via loco photos. Granted, at the moment RM is going through a rough patch with issues, but sooner or later these should get resolved.

You could download RM for a FREE 90 day evaluation period. To try before you buy. Just be aware that the evaluation mode limits the number of locos you can control (two I think from memory) and the size of your track plan if controlling your points via DCC accessory decoders.

Just found the answer!  It's the Loco Log Search feature in the Features menu and is detailed on page 66 of the manual.  Using this you can search by name and it tells you the address and causes the loco to move slightly on the layout.  You now continue using the address.

So it's a bit circuitous (but isn't that the case for doing anything not run of the mill with Elite) but at least you can find your locos by name.

But, Fishy, this Loco Log is pointless.   You have to press the knob 6 times to get to 'Loco Log Name' then you have still got to type in the address or name to make the loco move a fraction so you can spot it in the far off corner of your fiddle yard when you can just press 'Loco' then type in address anyway as normal. I thought that OP just wanted to scroll through a list of loco names to select which one he wanted to operate rather than try to remember it's numerical address to type in..........or have I had too much single malt? hick.

PS. I suppose the point is that it only lists the locos that are actually on the layout at the time.....no point in trying to address one thats still in the cupboard!!!

Archived