Sound shunters

stewart166

They have in the past (maybe not with the exact livery you are looking for). Although not currently in production you might be able to find old or pre-used stock. Here is a small selection of part numbers for Hornby 08 shunters with factory fitted DCC sound:

R2902XS EWS livery

R2977XS BR Green Livery

R3036XS Railfreight Livery

R3037XS BR Green Livery

I bought one last Christmas from AmandaJane, green BR. Fantastic runner, at incredibly low speeds - crawling. I purchase all my locos from her and have them mailed to Melbourne. Still 40% cheaper than buying locally, and great service.

Had a Hornby County Class fail on me, she posted a replacement to me before the defective loco had reached her.

@john does  it have any power lose problems when going over points and go an really really low speeds 

No, not at all. Surprising because the 0-6-0 wheel configuration is more closely set than the older model. It runs superbly over hornby points, even at a barely perceptible speed, with the sound on. I have found with some sound locos that at very low speeds, the loco sometimes cuts out on insulfrog points. Not this one, absolutely love it. I can perform low speed shunting operations with no fear of having to use the gret hand from above.

Just goes to show that not every model that comes out of the factory is the same. As far as I know all four of the sound shunters model numbers that I posted in my previous post share the same chassis. I have the R2902XS, I am on my second set of pickups and wheel set. They were replaced at a Hornby service centre due to poor pickup issues (and I have electrofrog points). The repaired shunter runs better, but not perfect, still get the very ocassional drop out at VERY low crawl speed. In answer to Stewart's second part of his query. The gearing however, does permit speeds so low that you have to look closely to see movement.

Just for information. This particular shunter chassis has pickups on all six wheels. The outer wheels have only one pickup wiper per wheel, but the centre wheels have two. The issue seems to be that the wipers are so delicate and thin that the pressure holding them against the wheel is weak. The wheel axles seem to have a fair amount of 'designed in' lateral sideways play so it is easy for a wheel to move away from a wiper. There is zero vertical play in the axles, so the track has to be perfectly flat. These comments relate to my particular experience of owning a shunter model with this chassis, and may be at odds with other's.

Archived