Latest Windows 10 update

Most of the time it is not down what make a PC or laptop it is for an update to install and cause havoc. It will be down to the motherboard or other hardware built into it or attached to it. Drivers for that hardware would need updating and if MS release an update to the OS before such drivers are issued then problems occur.

This is just ONE scenario I put out there. Don't make the assumption or mistake that it is down to a particular maker or model as other installations, whether software or hardware, even as stupid as a memory upgarde, can cause these problems.

Why memory upgrades? Well, single sided chips have always caused issues in PC's because of their architecture. I have lost count where incompatiblities are concerned with these things. I ALWAYS buy double sided memory chips with better latency and timings etc. However, I digress a touch...

It should be understood by computer users that MANY things can go wrong and if you have ten PC's or laptops with EXACTLY the same innards, same software installs and same updates etc then it is pretty bog standard for at least three of those to take a wobbler where the rest will be fine just after one last update is installed or even a piece of random software like RM for example is installed.

@GWR

As for major problems with Windows 10 such as you may be suffering... if you have had this as a free upgrade and are past the 30 day limit to roll back then don't worry. Save out all your data files that you want to keep to an external drive or whatever and then use the hard drive recovery partition (or disk set if you made them after buying your laptop) to get you back to a state which is called manufacturer status. This allows you to to recongifure the laptop in its old OS like Win 7 or Win 8 for example so you can then get it back to the state ready for downloading Windows 10 again.

You could find a post where I placed a link for you get the Windows 10 Media Creator Tool which downloads Windows 10 and allows you to install it from disk if you have a key (or install fro there instead of downloading the OS from MS every time - some machines do not allow that however so you have to download from MS to qualify for the free update.

That will bring you back to a decent working Windows 10 with no probs surrounding dodgy updates. When new updates are released for Win 10 or any new OS within the first year you should always wait at elast a week before updating so everyone else can be caught napping and you don't download that broken update file.

Windows 10 will NOT break the recovery partition on any hard drive but if you wiped the drive clean of it when creating recovery DVD disks you will HAVE to use the disks to get back to the original OS.

Hope this helps.. if not get back to us.

Thanks for all the advice. I have used Windows recovery which has taken me back week but not as far as the November update. All apps now work except settings. MS acknowledge they are aware of the settings issue and have issued temp fix pending a full and proper fix. I will wait and see before "messing" any further. RM connecting to internet still eratic but that can sit on the back burner for now. Thanks again for all your words of wisdom.

Greg, pleased you have appeared to  sort out most of it. I remember when windows 7 came out there were various snags, until well after the big update. I think the moral is,  wait until the geeks on the net, give it a clean bill of health, before loading up..  My rm, is still a tad eratic, needing a second loading yesterday, before allowing trains to move. I put that down to the room temperature being 4 degrees, and my frozen fingers. Had better success with elite, before cold drove me back to warmer climes. john

Why John.... was it really the cold, frosty fingers? Or was it the more normal leaves on the lines?

If my room temperature was 4 degrees I would be doing anything to trap heat for free before I went back to that kind of room. You must be crazy to operate trains at that temp --- were you not clearing ice and snow from the rails...?

Augustus, ceiling lowered and insulated with 6 inch fibreglass, all walls clad, and insulated behind with 4 inch fibreglass, frost alert heater on timer .House walls are solid stone, 14 inch thick. what else do you suggest. When we get a cold snap here, its really cold. john

I have just downloaded that latest update with no dire outcome. There is one issue though in that I cannot get onto the Hornby site from the laptop (502 Bad Gateway) having tried about 6 times. Other web sites are fine. Never mind, that's not an update issue and I have the trusty Mac here. :-) R-

Rog, hi, have raised this bad gateway issue, myself. Going back to updates, when i want to use RM, for running locos, i simply unplug / disconnect internet. There is never any urgency to have latest update, cos thats what caused probs last time. As they are not really updates, just adjustments, i wait until everybody is happy, then look. I would much rather happily play trains, than worry about keeping up with the jones,s. john 

Fair enough John, each to their own. Not so much "keeping up with the Jones'" for my part anyway. I update my laptop when I am ready more to see if there are any problems with my machine (and it's set up) with the latest version. I have not - to date - had any issues and hopefully that will indicate to an objective reader that it is not absolutely the case that they will. However, I am confident enough to roll back my laptop if anything untoward occurred and I know enough people in the IT world (some of them on here) who would be willing to help me get back up on my feet again. If anyone is not confident with their use of their PC then my advice would match yours, i.e. hold on until a few folk (like me) have dipped their toes and then make your own choice. R-

Windows 10 November update successfully installed on wife's computer. No issues, settings working correctly. I have uninstalled this update from my computer and settings still not working. So as none of this concerns RM I shall post no more on this subject.

John, as far as updates are concerned, it's irrelevant whether you are connected to the Internet or not because you choose whether to install an update. You do however miss out on things such as new locos in the RM database, manual changes and other things of this ilk that RM downloads from time to time without any actual changes to the program. 

And another thing to remember is, if you have the current version installed, you should download from the link every now and then to get the latest revision which removes bugs, as opposed to installing a new update which may change RM functionality but may have new bugs.

John... you need another layer of brickwork, more insulation and a roof to cover it all... or move to warmer climes... seriously, I would have thought all that would give a nice cosy home... although I don't know which part of the country you are in of course!

Updates in Windows 10... you don't need to accept updates. Although the OS is set to automatically download them you can turn them off rather than keep pulling cables... especially if they are awkward to reach. If you think I am about to tell you to go to Updates and simply click a button to turn these off then I will tell you now you cannot do that. MS removed the facility to turn off updates in the normal easy way in Windows 10. The method below is fool proof but not what MS recommend (of course)...

Simply click the Start button > All Apps > Windows System > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Double click Services > scroll down to Windows Update. Double click Windows Update. In the new window simply look for the option that says 'Manual' or 'Manual (Trigger Start)' or 'Automatic' or 'Automatic (Delayed Start)' and change it to 'Disabled'. Click OK and close all windows. Restart the PC or laptop to effect the change although you don't need to do this straight away unless you think Windows will check for updates before you finish your current session.

The service you are stopping is called wuauserv... which simply stands for Windows Update Automatic Service. It can also be called WSUS in servers etc.

There are other ways to do this via the registry or another way but this is the best way to do it and safer. To reverse the setting simply follow the instructions above but change it back to whatever it was before. If you don't remember then 'Manual' is fine (this is the same as 'Manual (Trigger Start)' setting) but 'Automatic' is usually where it sits. 'Automatic (Delayed Start)' is simply for when the PC or laptop attempts to start the service and another process gets in the way when you boot the system. A delayed start prevents this happening but should only be used when absolutely necessary.

This should help some folk decide whether or not to have the service constantly check for updates or not. Normally you would leave it switched on.

Archived