A few questions from a beginer!

lee_pitts

Hi, i am about to start my first set up, i like the sound of the dcc sets, what worries me is firstly, is the range is good as the standard engines, and secondly, is the track ect compatible with normal track, i guess it is!

Any other asvice would be much appreciated! 

Thanks, Lee 

Lee, welcome to the forum with your 1st post.

Firstly. The bulk of the locomotives on the Hornby website are DCC Ready. It depends upon what's YOUR definition of what you are classifying as a 'Standard' locomotive. DCC Ready locomotives are exactly the same chassis whether they are 'Standard' or 'DCC Fitted'. The only difference is that the DCC Ready locomotives have a blanking plug fitted where the DCC decoder should go and DCC fitted have the blanking plug removed and a DCC decoder fitted instead (this upgrade can be done by a confident owner). Therefore the 'range' is the same. There are some entry level locomotives on the site that are not DCC Ready (particularly in the Analogue DC entry level starter train sets), but that does not mean that they are incapable of being upgraded to DCC, they can be as long as space is available inside the locomotive body to fit a 'wired' DCC decoder (soldering skills are required to do this).

Secondly, the track for DCC and non DCC is exactly the same. The only track difference is that with Hornby points. R8232 Digital Point Clips need to be fitted to the point to make them fully compatible with DCC. And as Poliss says, you have to have a specific DCC Power connector for DCC or modify the DC ones. In DCC the track is permanently live all the time including the sidings regardless of whether the locomotives are moving or stationary. It is the R8232 clips that allow this always live requirement to be implemented.

• 1 month later...

Archived