Static IP

Mr Beef

@ Mr Beef, Chris & AC.....just to throw another potential hiccup into the arena...........It is never mentioned but the track itself can disrupt/interfere with a wireless signal through an effect called Multipathing where a Radio Signal is split into two or more signals causing interference and reduced performance.....If you can imagine all the trackwork without sleepers hanging in midair you have an enormous aerial so it is quite feasible to accept the Multipath effect within the Railway Room....Add this to a weak signal caused by interfering walls within the home then the problem is compounded...just a thought.. HB.

Taking your thoughts a bit further HB, a really large layout of track could even potentially act as a Faraday Cage, producing a barrier to the efficient transmission of radio waves through it. The possibility of different things being able to disrupt radio waves within the home are almost boundless.

PS - The latest culprit for affecting Wi-fi in the home that I have heard of, as mentioned in the BBC Click technology programme, is Flashing Christmas Lights. So no playing trains during Christmas this year :-)

Just think, back in the 1950's we never had any of these electronomical problems with the Hornby 0 gauge clockwork locos buzzing round the house..........used to carry a bagfull of track and a loco round to friend's houses and create long runs in and out of various rooms and just play trains..HB.

Your description reminds me of Wallace & Grommet in the "Wrong Trousers". The train chase scene with the Penquin dressed as a Chicken, bet you couldn't lay track THAT fast though.

Chris

If we could lay track that fast and follow it up with the buildings, lights and of course abseboards we'd be building these things for sale at a huge rate and bagging loadsamoney... :-)

One more addition to interference with wireless, and I must just add that the ones I listed prior are the more common and understandable ones, is that of a motor driven telescope! Would you believe it? Well, I do because it has interfered with stuff for me before though on a small level and not to do with trains although the principle is the same.... especially when using a laptop to look at the sky with through a camera lens.

We could go on all day with this one but yep... the track could do it but again the chances of mega interference are not high.

Well I give up.

Bought wireless powerline for upstairs and still same problem.

Phone connects up no problem, start to run train, works fine for a few minutes then icon in top R/H corner goes red and inputs on phone dont work, wait a minute or two and the icon turns green again and all ok for 30 seconds or so.

What is puzzling me that if I use it downstairs it works for over an hour no problems whatsoever.

I must say that upstairs the only thing plugged into the mains is elink and the powerline and nothing else using the wifi.

GRRRR head battered.

Little update

Bought a range extender and set it using wps button on router and took it upstairs and same problem.

Changed the range extenders ssid name and connected laptop and phone to that ssid and phone stayed alive for 20mins but then I had to pack up. Will try at the weekend for longer and see what happens.

Hope fully its sorted.

CheersSteve

Sounds promising.....I did look at the user guide for a TP Link Wi-fi Powerline and noted that it normally clones the main router SSID number. Using a different SSID sounds like a good idea as it forces the phone and laptop to use that particular Wi-fi device. I assume that the TP link product is not too dissimilar to the alternative range extender you have aquired.

What you say is perfectly true AC, If you want all your wireless access points and devices to be part of the same network, but what if you don't........

I purposely gave my 802.11n 5GHZ router interface a different SSID to the 2.4GHZ channel. So that I could lock my laptop to ONLY use the 5GHZ Wi-fi interface. I could have just disabled my router 2.4GHZ interface instead, but that would have been a case of 'cutting off my nose to spite my face'. By using two SSIDs I still have the option of connecting devices to the Internet that don't support 5GHZ if I choose to.

Given the issues Steve was having, giving the extender a different SSID seems to be a fair workaround to force his laptop and phone to use his extender.

I'm not contradicting you, I'm just bringing to the attention of the casual flyby reader that what Steve has done is not something wrong, just something different to achieve a satisfactory outcome to his particular issue. I do not network my devices together by the way, so using dual SSIDs is not an issue for my particular scenario.

@Chris

Fair comment... I was merely looking at all those prospective routers that only allow a single SSID and members wanted all their prospective wireless equipment connected at the same time.

Now that dual or more SSID's can be configured and some routers upgraded from a single SSID to multiple through a frimware update then obviously that makes everything a tad different. I personally haven't the need to use or configure multiple SSID's for myself or clients as no-one is eally interested.

However, having said that there are many reasons to utilise it.

So from both of our points on this one we are both right. It depends upon the usage or potential usage the member wants to implement. I'll be honest and say I hadn't even thought of the dual usage when I put put my post but of course I now see the reason for you mentioning it.

If it helps in this scenario being fixed then great... I hope it does. But, as you will know from your own experience possibly, just because a piece of equipment sits right next to a router does not make it work any better than it would if it was in a different room. There are many reasons for this which have been stated I believe.

One further point for anyone wanting to try out multiple SSID's and your router, seemingly, only allows a single one to be implemented then you could consider downloading some firmware to upgrade it to a state where multiples are allowed. Some routers won'ttake the upgrade though so look for a compatibility list that contains your model.

The firmware is DD_WRT and is a Linux based firmware which was first released in 2005. Apparently a business model version is in development and could cost to use. At this point in time it is free.

Looks as though the wirless extender and giving it a different SSID has cured my problems, been on for 2 hours this afternoon and no dropouts at all.

Thank you AC and Chris for taking the the time to respond to my request for help.

Cheers

Steve

Archived