Surface point motors

I am using an R8216 point decoder with surface points, The problem i am having is the point motor only seems to operate by switching one way ie the motor will change the point direction but wont set them back again, as far as i know the wiring is correct.

I have railmaster with elink, Thanks

I experimented with surface mounted point motors but I could not get them to work consistently so I opted for Solenoid operated ones mounted under the layout.  I then found that they also did not operate 100% from the Hornby Power supply (Elite) so I started to use an old laptop power supply for the points motors, which gives about 18v.  They now work 100% of the time.

I am not sure you can do that with the R8216, as I use the ESU Decoder.

• 6 months later...

I've found myself having to use suface mounted motors in 2 places and tried fitting them tonight and gave up in the end , fixed them down and they'd throw one way then not the other even though the points are free moving , I loosened the screws and no joy.

You'd think it would be easy to fix them down and they'd work without a lot of aggro , may have to go for the peco surface mount ones if I can't get them to work right .

The most common reason for this happening is that two of the three wires connected to the solenoid are crossed over. The drawing below demonstrates why this is the case. Hornby solenoids use the 'Black' wire as the common return. Peco solenoid points use the 'Green' wire as the common return (C terminal on Accessory Decoder).

Anyway see the drawing below that explains all.

/media/tinymce_upload/5e227a53b85a18e5c6d08f3bffce19fa.jpg

In the drawing I've shown the C and + wires crossed over. The wiring crossed over could of course be between the C and - wires instead. The same result would happen, but in the other point throwing direction. If the + and - wires are crossed over, then the point works in both directions but just in reverse.

Archived