Loco stop/starting

Pangaea

I have an R2949 HST that's been sitting around brand new for a while, so today I decided to open it up and place it on my DCC layout for a run. At first, the train did not move at all, and when I got it to move, it moved for 2 seconds, stopped for 3 seconds, moved for 2 seconds, stopped for 3 seconds, etc.

Every other DCC loco worked fine, so I presumed that the controller (Elite) and the track wasn't at fault.

On another note, is vibration and a loud buzzing noise normal on DC layouts using the R8250 controller?

Welcome to the forums Pangaea.  On the HST part of your question, if a Hornby DCC fitted model, it would be R2949X, and there doesn't appear to be any such model.  So if DCC fitted, it must have been done after market, so not brand new.  What ID number are you running it on?

And a note - if DCC Ready and not DCC fitted, that means it is DC with a socket for a decoder with a blanking plug in it.  While DC works on a DCC layout, you shouldn't do it as you run a real risk of burning out the motor.

Finally, if you are sure it's DCC, have you tired leaving it stop/starting for a while to see if it improves with running in?

Archived