Chaos after a crash!

JohanC

I have a DCC layout which generally runs fine. I use two Select controllers. My problem is that after a derailing or incorrectly set point the system cuts out. Once the fault is corrected the controllers default to loco 03. If, for example, I had two trains running at the time of the fault, they both leap back into action but I am unable to control  them until I have re-entered their codes into the Select controllers. In the case of a big derailing they crash again before I can regain control. 

What I would like is a controller setting which, after a short, reverts to the pre-existing loco codes or sets all loco speeds to zero. Does anyone know of a controller which does this? The Elite does on the PC but I find the non PC controllers more convenient.

No, the decoder in the locos are fine. It is that the controllers display 03 after rectifying the short so in order to regain control of the loco I have to type in, say, 43, press select. When two trains are hammering round and the derailing is not fully rectified further crashes occur before I can regain control!

@johanc................the decoders remember the last instruction sent to them so, of course, the locos will continue en route when the short is cleared and power re-instated............a feature of the Select is that if you perform a RESET it will lose the addresses of the locos that were running prior to the short and the LCD will then display '003' which is exactly the problem you have encountered..............in these circumstances your only option is to remove the locos that have crashed and start again, one at a time..........The Elite controller does not have this problem, it has an ESCAPE key which can restore the current and remembers the current loco addresses so you can continue safely.  HB

Magfan has made the same old mistake of using the BLUE quote button, and typing his words in the same space, instead of the GREEN reply button, and typing in the white empty box! As a result, his comments are mixed in with the words he was repeating unnecessarily!

P.S. The Elite has a big red STOP button, as well, for such situations. Push that, and EVERYTHING stops while you sort it out!

2e0dtoeric. The question is what does the big red stop button do when you press it for the second time after fixing the problem? Do the locos all immediately revert to their previous speed and the display shows loco 03? this is what the Select does. From earlier posts it appears the Elite sets the speeds to zero which is what I am after.

No second press is necessary. Once the disaster has been sorted, and everything is back on the rails, you press the 'escape' button, and all the functions/sounds restart, but all loco's are reset to zero speed. If I recall, the Elite restarts on whatever loco code was selected when you 'stopped'. I'm not going to turn it on, and run something at this time of night to find out, I'll have the neighbours complaining!

No doubt someone else will comment, or I will, tomorrow.

I have crashes/disasters for a number of reasons:

derailments, particularly some older wagons.

forgetting to reset points after shunting, etc.

grand children having discovered how to change the points surreptitiously!

all part of the fun.

Thanks for all your comments. John

I've finally had chance to test the Elite 'crash-stop' button!

I had four loco's tail-chasing, then prodded STOP.

Obviously everything stopped instantly.

When I pressed STOP again, (not reset, as I put previously) the last loco I controlled came onto the screen, but all four loco's stayed stopped, as I thought they did.

(You can probably guess from that - that I don't often use the panic button!)

Archived