Amnesia!

81F

Do any of you have trouble with some locos forgetting their settings?

I have a problem that some of my locos forgetting their settings. All but one of these are fitted with Hornby chips and it happens after they have been stored out of use. However, I also have other loco of the same type with the same chip that do not have this problem.

Indeed two of my Casles (one original Dapol and one Hornby version) were stored in the same siding!

I've only ever had memory loss problems many moons ago on locos with the old R8215 decoders, never since they were replaced with R8249, Sapphire or TTS decoders.

all my locos sit on track all the time -except when they are in bits, either powered down for weeks at a time when I'm in UK  or powered up all day When I'm in residence On the island.

i've only once suffered reversion to 003 after a short And again the was an early decoder.

When the DCC system is turned Off or On often an electrcial spike is produced. This 'Spike' can cause some decoders to revert to address 3 and back to default setting. 

Options to prevent this are...

1) Fit a simple On/Off switch into the two feed wires coming from the DCC systems 'Track' output pair of terminals.  Turning the switch Off before turning off the mains power to the DCC system and the reverse when powering back up - keep the switch Off until the system has booted then turn it On.

2) Fit 'Bus Filters' to the DCC bus pair of wires at each end of the DCC bus pair (where a bus pair of wires are used of course).

3) Replace problematic decoders with better quality ones.

Thanks for the advice. I tend to throw a master switch to the Railway Room (five transformers) when leaving it so there is probably a big spike! so will fit the individule on/off switches to the tracks and switch things off individually!

One of the offending locos may well be fitted with an old R8215 (as it has a one digit number and I tried to use the old chips up onb the small numbers!

Thanks again

Steve

Archived