What Might RM with LD Know about Positions in the Future

@PJ..........I disagree with some of your wording, PJ...........My version is this.........

The manual clearly states arrows WILL be needed for LD

The x,y co-ordinate settings have been noted of each sensor location.

The sensor is a port number, the sensor and possibly the arrow have x,y co-ordinates.

HB

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That works for me too HB.  We know sensors have x,y coordinates, they are already in its setup and we can enter them right now.  Nothing else currently has this facility.  It's then easy to give this sensor position to locos when detected, but not so easy to see how the positions of anything else will be known.

That works for me too HB.  We know sensors have x,y coordinates, they are already in its setup and we can enter them right now.  Nothing else currently has this facility.  It's then easy to give this sensor position to locos when detected, but not so easy to see how the positions of anything else will be known.

In Fact, sensors have two sets of x,y co-ordinates - firstly, the co-ordinates of the cell on the layout diagram where it has been placed [as with every other object on the diagram], second this new box into which the user can enter co-ordinates which appear to be measured in centimetres.

Something I mentioned months ago, and I can't remember whether it was in the Desirable Features thread or not, was to have the co-ordinates of the cell in the top left corner of the current display, being displayed on the screen. My reason for this was to assist with the "MOVE" command in programs. But it might prove useful in this context if we need to be aware of the position of items on the display.

Ray

Question..............when a Sensor gives a loco stop command will the loco stop dead or will it decelerate to a stop in accordance with the loco decoder's CV4 setting..............I ask with reference to planning a train stopping in the station as realistically as possible.    HB.

For end to end layouts, the directuion is forward or reverse as per the arrow

For loops, forward could represent clockwise as per the arrow.

What is this x,y stuff?

Forward or Reverse is the direction to loco is travelling not necessarily the direction of the arrows which is indication of direction travelling on Schematic Layout.

The arrows represent the direction of travel over the sensor which could be East to West, West to East

<<< LOCO we see it is going West but it is going forwards

LOCO >>> here to loco is going East but it is still going forward

The direction of travel is based on <--- in the first example

and for example two --->

Question..............when a Sensor gives a loco stop command will the loco stop dead or will it decelerate to a stop in accordance with the loco decoder's CV4 setting..............I ask with reference to planning a train stopping in the station as realistically as possible.    HB.

The stopping distance will depend on speed of course but will be the same as telling the loco to stop. 0 mph

Not slowing down as in deceleration it will be from what ever speed to 0mph

To stop realistically as in a station, you have to reduce speed in the run up to the sensor which will command a stop. Examples given yesterday for reducing speed at previous sensors/signals subject to signal conditions. I also mentioned some may wish to add an additional sensor before entering a station so that speed can be brought down as the train enters the station and is brought to a stop over the sensor at the other end of the station.

Forward or Reverse is the direction to loco is travelling not necessarily the direction of the arrows which is indication of direction travelling on Schematic Layout.

Wrong.

This is all about "For forward direction" and  "For reverse direction".

You will put trains on the track facing in the direction of the arrow and thus forward/reverse is indeed the actual direction of travel! If you put a train on the track in the other direction then you need to change CV29.

Again, I prefer my reverse stereo concept since it's easier and handles auto reversing as well.

From page 96 of the pdf -

You will need to place arrows on stretches of track when using the optional Loco Detection system.

I think we need to be careful about how this is interpreted.

Again, I think this is only a visual reminder to the user so that they clearly see the forward direction at a sensor when programming it. This is especially needed for route instructions of course - be pretty silly to be setting points behind the train. :)

It may be "needed" for other reasons but I doubt they'll be related to the actual operation of the trains.

... when a Sensor gives a loco stop command will the loco stop dead or will it decelerate to a stop in accordance with the loco decoder's CV4 setting ...

I hope it will stop in accordance with CV settings, otherwise it will look rather unrealistic.  (Hence my comment a few days ago about how difficult it will be, getting the Loco to stop exactly over a sensor)

... when a Sensor gives a loco stop command will the loco stop dead or will it decelerate to a stop in accordance with the loco decoder's CV4 setting ...

I hope it will stop in accordance with CV settings, otherwise it will look rather unrealistic.  (Hence my comment a few days ago about how difficult it will be, getting the Loco to stop exactly over a sensor)

It is clear to me that it would stop as per the decoders pre programming - how could or why would RM over ride that?

It is also clear that stopping distance needs to be taken into account. So use either 2 sensors, a slowing and a dead stop, or 1 sensor at a distance from the signal and use a program to slow the train based on present speed.

... Something I mentioned months ago, and I can't remember whether it was in the Desirable Features thread or not, was to have the co-ordinates of the cell in the top left corner of the current display, being displayed on the screen ...

Yes Ray, Desirable Features, page 13, 23rd Nov 2013. (how time flies)

I agree Rm won't be able to violate CVs.

I'm also in the school not needing a sensor for the loco to stop over in the station, I think there'll be sufficient accuracy available from instructions given as the train reaches the platform.

Archived