Brighton Belle Lighting CVs with a Saphire Decoder

No Train, No Gain

Hi,

I have read a programmed the Saphire decoder and got a R3184 Brighton Belle working beatifully on my track.  However, the instructions only suggest how to add the CVs for a normal Hornby decoder; I have fitted a Saphire decoder.  Any suggestions for which CVs I should be using to enable the lights in the carrages to illuminate?

many thanks

NT,NG;

I don't have this set although it is on my wish list! I hadn't realised that it had operational table lamps, which presumably are the lights in the carriages you refer to. With my limited knowledge of DCC I am confused why you are asking about adding CV's. Lights normally are controlled by functions, typically F0 turns lights on/off. Have you tried that?

NTNG,

I have just had a look at the Hornby Sapphire instruction sheet. As normal, Hornby documentation is not well written. As far as I can tell there are four function outputs on the decoder, any one of which may be used to light your table lamps. The instruction sheet infers that the lights functions are by default mapped to F0, F1 & F2

I would start by trying these three functions in sequence to see which if any affect the table lamps. There is no reason why the table lamps have to be mapped to F0. I have  a Bachmann EMU where the interior lights come on with F8 and another with F5. I don't think I have ever seen a 'multiple unit' train where the interior lights come on with F0.

If F0 to F2 have no effect, then carry on and try all F(n) up to F28, this won't cause any harm. If NO function F(n) operates the lights, then you will probably have to trace the wiring and look for a possible fault.

EDIT: Just spent a little longer looking at the Sapphire instruction sheet. Look at the matrix table for CVs 33 to 36. As far as I can tell, the four physical decoder function outputs are referred to as Lights 0, 1, 2 & 3

Lights 0 & 1 are mapped to F0 (loco going forward) and F0 (loco in reverse). This makes sense as this would be the normal directional lighting circuits for white and red lights on the ends of the loco.

Lights 2 (I take this to be auxilliary lights) is mapped to F1

Lights 3 (I take this to be additional auxilliary lights) is mapped to F2

Thus, F1 or F2 may be the function to light your table lamps.

@NTNG........The notes for the DCC functions for the Brighton Belle say for the R8249 decoder F0 = exterior or headcode if fitted and F1 = interior table lights.............I'm sure the same applies to the Sapphire...........I use a Hattons decoder and that is also F1.  HB.

I thought he just wanted to switch the interior lights on; howbinman seems to have nailed that answer!

Nevertheless 37 as he has a Sapphire decoder he may have been unaware of the additional features and could now be inclined to turn the wick down on his lamps, now that he knows he can...

Archived