Installing DCC to Olton Hall

renovat1o

Hi all,

I have been searching proper guide to install DCC to my R3169 Olton Hall. I got 4 function digital decoder but since I haven't done this thing before I wanted to see a proper guide. 

I have searched on the internet and came up with several guides for 4-6-0 series but it seems there 2 types of instalation one is from main loco and other one is from the back of it. If there is a video guide in youtube or somewhere else, that would be very helpful.

Thanks

Hi reno.............Service Sheet HSS 404 refers to Olton Hall and shows the decoder socket in the loco's boiler so you will need to locate the fixing screw or screws to seperate the chassis from the body..........Have a look under the front bogie. HB

A conundrum!  Two contradictory posts and apparently both correct!

HB's service sheet says it applies to R3169 and clearly shows the socket in the loco as HB says.  It also clearly doesn't show it in the tender.  But one clue, it shows a 4 wire plug going from loco to tender, and 4 wires only needed for wiring for both pickups and decoder orange and grey to motor in the loco.

Then we have WD adamant the socket is in the tender. Checking the item in the catalog online, it doesn't say directly. But a review posted there says well done on putting the socket in the tender, so supports WD.

I think I'd be checking the tender first.  Should nothing be found there, then check the loco.

Just for further reference, HSS 404 Sheet is wrong for R3169 Olton Hall. It shows DCC socket in the loco but it is actually in the tender as WilliamDavid said. However, in order to open the tender, you have to remove screws on the sides under the tender rather than the one under the coupling unit. That one, together with other screws on the line, only removes the wheel holder. I also removed that bit to put DCC but that might not be necessary.

However, in order to open the tender, you have to remove screws on the sides under the tender rather than the one under the coupling unit. That one, together with other screws on the line, only removes the wheel holder. I also removed that bit to put DCC but that might not be necessary.

I stand corrected.

I've just been playing with my A3 Brown Jack loco, which has that method.

I previously replaced the dcc decoder I previously fitted to my Olton Hall with the TTS decoder from the Flying Scotsman, (sounds good to me), so I am familiar with it, and the Adderley Hall.

I have Olton Hall (and Adderley Hall). So I can confirm the DCC socket is in the tender. The tender is opened by two screws, one on each side underneath. There is plenty of room in Olton Hall's tender for just about any type of DCC decoder. There is a bit less room in Adderley Hall's, but still enough.

Archived