Older DCC fitted locos - won't program?

JohanC

I have two Hornby DCC Fitted locos bought as part of a DCC set back in 2009. I have programmed them successfully with my Select controller. I have just upgraded to an Elite controller and tried to change their loco numbers but they just won't accept the change. Later locos accept the change without any problem.

Is this a known problem? Is there a work around?

Regards

John.

Could be the elite or the older style decoders ,I do know that the elite can be problematic when it comes to programming because the voltage from the programming outputs are quite low and the older decoders just may not be getting the command .i can only suggest installing a newer version decoder ,I say this about the elite because I had one and it just didn't want to programme I also googled the problem and it seemed to be a common problem ,sorry I can't be of any help,,,,,,,,

No there shouldn't be an issue, although clearly there is.

This is something I would cerrtainly be wanting t fix so I could use long IDs equating to the loco running number, and so be able to remember them more easily.

Try programming with the Elite with only programming track connected, not layout, and see if that improves things.

Are you using the very latest version of Railmaster 1.63 revision 3 as downloaded from the top of the Railmaster section of the forum. Reason I ask, is that HRMS stated that this version contained some modifications to the way RM wrote and read CVs to Accessory Decoders to make reading and writing more reliable. It is possible that these mods, whatever they were, might have also improved loco reading and writing reliability too.

No mention of his using RM at all Chris, just Select or Elite?

I'm suspecting he has a close to original Mixed Freight set, the only set that long ago coming with 2 DCC Fitted locos, and that the 4-pin decoder fitted to them (can't remember it's X number off the top of my head) is an early version that may not be fully DCC compliant.  If that's the case, he'll have to stick with the Select to program them, or replace them with the current model decoder.  The part number is something like X8969 but wouldn't swear by it. 

Duh!!!.......that's rare for me not to read the OP post properly........must have read Elite and thought eLink.

In that case, what firmware have you got on the Elite Johan, is it 1.41 or 1.42 the firmware version flashes up briefly on the Elite LCD screen during power up.

@johan..........just a thought, Johan..........with the Elite, did you move the connecting lead from the Track sockets into the Program sockets at the rear and then back again after programming?...........Sorry if that sounds obvious but it's easily missed. HB.

Duh!!!.......that's rare for me not to read the OP post properly........must have read Elite and thought eLink.

I thought there must have been a reason for me to mention RailMaster Fishy. On page 1, fourth post down Johan adds that he also has an eLink as well as his Select and Elite. So I then assumed that he could be still using RM but with the Elite instead.

I have just succeeded in programming both the old locos using "Reg" mode rather than "Direct" mode on the Elite. No idea why this works but it does. Don't we just love computers!

Thanks for all the comments.

Regards, John

@johan............nice one, John, for adding to our fount of knowledge............the Elite manual says that Register & Paged programming systems are best suited for the much older decoders............we live and learn.... HB

Archived