Elink & elite & select walkabout

alan_french

ok

what i need to know is can i use my Elink with track master to run my points & lights on my layout.

also use a elite to run my locos     with a select walkabout   all at same time????

i know you dont need 2 power supplys to run elite & select    but do you wire them both to the track or just the elite. ?????

Also the Elink   do i need a power suppy to that & does it need wiring to the track.

or am  going to get feed back & maybe blow a unit. ???

could do with a layout drawing for wiring all 3 units to same track.

anyone help me with this   thanks     alan 

In DCC you must NEVER have TWO controllers with their outputs in Electrical contact, but that doesn't stop you having two completely different DCC circuits..

Circuit 1 - connects to your track to operate your locos. This could be your Elite with Select connected as Walkabouts. The Elite ONLY having its 4 amp power supply unit connected.

Circuit 2 - connects to a completely separate DCC pair of wires that connect to your Accessory Decoders to operate your points and signals. This could be RailMaster & eLink. The eLink will need to be connected to its normal 1 amp power supply unit. This circuit MUST NOT connect to your track.

A third alternative is to connect your Elite via a second USB connection to your RailMaster PC. So that you have the option of also controlling your locos through RailMaster as well as the Elite. RailMaster does support having TWO controllers connected to the software via USB as Controller A (Elite for locos) and Controller B (eLink for accessories). Remember though, the same rule applies about the controller DCC outputs of Controllers A & B, they must be separate and not in contact with each other.

What I am not sure about, is if you have the Elite connected to RailMaster as Controller A, can you still use an unpowered Select as Walkabouts. Someone here who uses Walkabouts can hopefully confirm.

... What I am not sure about, is if you have the Elite connected to RailMaster as Controller A, can you still use an unpowered Select as Walkabouts ...

Yes you can.  I have an unpowered Select as a Walkabout with Elite connected to RailMaster as the main controller.

Put simply, so forgetting about having separate circuits for each of locos and accessories for now, you have 2 options, and a sub-category in one of them.

First you can run your layout with RM/eLink, eLink connected to the mains via its power supply and also connected to the track to run the layout (locos, points, signals etc) plus also connected to a separate programming track via its programming output to program those locos and accessories.

Second, you can run your layout with Elite with it connected to its power supply and connections to track and programming track as for eLink.  Then in addition, you can connect Select walkabouts to the Elite, in which case the Select connects only to the Elite and not its own power supply and not to track either.

The second sub-category for Elite is you can have all as above, then in addition connect to RM on your PC and control things from the RM screen as well as from the Elite and any Select Walkabout knobs.

Is that all too complicated?  You could just stick with Select with its power supply and a track connection for both programming and running the layout. Much simpler, but also much, much less capable and not recommended by many.

And finally note that none of these options break the single DCC controller rule as only one controller is connected to track by any of them.

... What I am not sure about, is if you have the Elite connected to RailMaster as Controller A, can you still use an unpowered Select as Walkabouts ...

Yes you can.  I have an unpowered Select as Walkabout with Elite connected to RailMaster as the main controller.

I also have a completely separate (ex old laptop) power supply to power my Points.

Archived