Quick Question Re: Railmaster and Decoder Programming

I've been collecitng trains for years. I have a good few that are DCC fitted and less that are DCC ready. I'm planning on starting a layout soon but want to program the locos first.

If I have Railmaster and the eLink, do I need a Select/Elite controller to program locos on programming track? Or does Railmaster and the eLink act as the controller as well. I want to get Railmaster and eLink anyway, but just not sure if they are enough to program decoders.

Another quick question. I've read many times that locos need to be broken in before being committed to service on the layout. If I remember right, the normal procedure is running the loco 30 minutes in one direction and then 30 minutes in the opposite direction. If someone can just confirm this please. Thanks a million.

Hi,

As far as I know, yes , eLink + Railmaster will indeed allow you to program both loco & accessory decoders. I use a Elite/Railmaster setup, which works well, but you should be ok with eLink too......there's probably lots on this forum about it ..

Cheers,

Just in case Pete's reply leaves you with any doubt. RailMaster & eLink together are a fully featured programmer AND controller of Loco and Accessory decoders. There are a few minor things that eLink can't do that Elite can, like for example 'Operate and Register' programming modes. But these non supported eLink features are unlikely to affect you unless you have some non modern older decoders.

The eLink like the Elite has a 'programming' output as well as a 'track output, but no manual control knobs. With eLink, all control actions are performed via the RailMaster GUI (Graphical User Interface).

If you really want to go 'belt 'n' braces' and cover all bases. Then purchase RailMaster on its own with a separate Elite. RM and Elite work together the same as RM & eLink, but have the advantage that Elite also supports the additional obscure programming modes I mentioned earlier. Not only that, but with RM and Elite, you can use both RM and the Elite controls simultaneously and have the Elite control knob movements fed back into the RM control throttle sliders in synchronisation.

Archived