Cobalt Slow Point Motor DCC control - RM - eLink

PJ_model_trains

Hi guys

I have done a search for Cobalt but many of the threads on here are old so though as I was considering slow action point motors DCC and have threads for other makes on here it makes sense to discuss Cobalt ones on this new separate thread.

Has anyone used and set up the Cobalt Digital slow action point motors with RailMaster and using eLink?

How good are they?

How easy are they to install?

How easy is it to set the CV's?

Do you set the CV up prior to adding to the track or does it not matter?

Which motor did you use? Cobalt iP Digital?

Comments welcome. Thank you

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi

I have eighteen Cobalt iP Digitals on my layout, operated by both switch and from my Hornby Elite, and they work well. I can't help you with Railmaster/eLink. They did not programme using the DCC Concepts instructions, but TWD who posts on here, formulated his own system, which I followed, and everything works perfectly. They are fairly easy to fit - I found it best to make a plasticard template with four screw and point rod cutouts, mark the board, and pre-drill and cut the slot. The one thing I did find they are a little nosier than I had hoped for, event using the self-adhesive sponge pad supplied with the motor. If I can find the programming instructions I will post them in here - save you searching. BB

So here is the way TWD got it to work

With the motor DCC inputs connected directly to Elite Track Outputs (NB probably works if connecting via DCC bus):

1. Switch on Elite

2. Motor does self centering manoeuvre (left,right,centre)

3. Put run/set switch to SET

4. Press ACC on Elite TWICE

5. Dial in 198 using Control button 2 (CB2)

6. Press CB2 (I also pressed CB1 for good luck!)

7. Put run/set switch to RUN

8. Press CB1 and CB2

9. Set run/set switch to SET

10. Press ACC on Elite ONCE

11. Dial in required point address on CB2

12. Press CB2 (again I pressed CB1 for luck)

13. Set run/set switch to RUN

14. Press CB1 and CB2 and check motor moves left and right.

15. Switch Elite Off/On and check motor doesn't self centre and responds to new address ID.

JOB DONE!

PJ, I fitted my first Cobalt IP digital to my layout a couple of weeks ago, no problems at all and I will be installing more over the next few weeks. RailMaster/eLink recognises them in the point drop down and I programmed it to the my required address using the instructions DCC Concepts supplied. Just note that the powering off/on of the point moter at the specified times does seem to be required. The motor does make a bit of a wurring/grinding noise, no louder than the 'click' from a solenoid but of longer in duration as it pulls the point blades across. The point I have connected it to is a Pico Electrofrog point and I did remove the spring so the blades draw across smoothly and it looks really good. The frog switching option works perfectly and is really easy to setup (i.e. just connect the wire to the frog) If fitted to a Hornby point you may not need to remove the spring because they are less strong than the Pico ones.

Hope this helps, Nick

PJ, I fitted my first Cobalt IP digital to my layout a couple of weeks ago, no problems at all and I will be installing more over the next few weeks. RailMaster/eLink recognises them in the point drop down and I programmed it to the my required address using the instructions DCC Concepts supplied. Just note that the powering off/on of the point moter at the specified times does seem to be required. The motor does make a bit of a wurring/grinding noise, no louder than the 'click' from a solenoid but of longer in duration as it pulls the point blades across. The point I have connected it to is a Pico Electrofrog point and I did remove the spring so the blades draw across smoothly and it looks really good. The frog switching option works perfectly and is really easy to setup (i.e. just connect the wire to the frog) If fitted to a Hornby point you may not need to remove the spring because they are less strong than the Pico ones.

Hope this helps, Nick

The fitting is reassuring, the noise a bit disappointing.

Are you using P*co Code 100 or Code 75 track and points/turn-outs?

PJ, I use a mixture of P*co Code 100 elctro-frog & insu-frog points plus a couple of Hornby points and Hornby track. So far I have only fitted a Cobalt IP digital  to a P*co medium radius Code 100 electro-frog point.

My baseboard is 1/2" ply on 2x2 braced frames fixed to the walls so it does act as a bit of a sound box, possibly making the point motors sound nosier that they might othewise be

Nick

Hi Nick

I will stick to Code 100, using Electrofrog for medium turn-outs and Insulfrog for curved turn-outs. I would have used Electrofrog for all of them but the standard turnout, 2nd/3rd radius is only Insulfrog, You have to have space for 30" / 60" radius for the Electrofrog. That means a lot of space!

Hi PJ

I always imagined that the slow action point motors were very quiet.  It appears from the above that you could go from a quick noisy clunk of a solenoid to a more lengthy motor grinding noise, with the ones described above.

Hi PJ

I always imagined that the slow action point motors were very quiet.  It appears from the above that you could go from a quick noisy clunk of a solenoid to a more lengthy motor grinding noise, with the ones described above.

Thanks RDS

I was starting to wonder! 

The choice was becoming a slow motion motor with positive movement (and whirling noise ) or

Faster action, shake your points silly (with loud Click-Click noise)

If they both have noise the benefit has to be slow positive movement that doesn't shake the living daylights out of the point. But I admit I too was surprised at the replies and a little disappointed.

Cobalt's definitely make some noise, they are not totally silent, but they are quieter than these http://minxmicrodrives.com/ which can be heard in their video.  

Thanks Nick

The minimicrodrives do sound noisy, but we never know on videos where the microphone was.

Another consideration is Cobalt motors are under the layout whereas the minxmicrodrives are on top.

Good to access the small motors from above but if noisy not good on top of the layout.

As they say... swings and roundabouts with everything. 

When will someone make piezo legs points motors which require a DCC type signal to drive them.

google it - they are used in all sorts of precise linear of rotary events, including driving lenses in cameras.

i've been banging on about it for years.

maybe I should commission a manuf to knocv out 10,000 of them for me and make my fortune.

@PJ

Are the Minxmicrodrives DCC controllable? R-

Yes, there is a socket at the end of the large controller interface box into which a £15 DCC decoder upgrade module plugs into. These are mentioned on the product website.

RAF, of course you could make a piezo motor to respond to a DCC signal, but only by having a decoder incorporated into it.  The decoder is essential to determine which motor is to respond, then for generating the correct volts/amps/shape/duration to activate the motor to change the point.

Archived