using the mouse

greetings. those of you who use RM, with elink, how do you use your mouse. Do you drive trains with it, or just click on  a loco. Unlike my old french windows machine, this one, courtescy of my lady wife, does not respond well with rm. When i scroll down to find a loco, screen kinda jumps, and RM, does np longer respond. I was always able on old machine, to click on loco, or scroll down, New machine seems very sensative. I was wondering about trying to drive trains, with mouse, as per RM manual. I looked to connect, but it did not. comments please. thanks. john

Hi John

Are you actually saying the machine is very sensative or mouse movement is very sensative?

You can slow down the movement of your mouse.

Are you just using the machine for RM? If so stop anything running in the background that could start up whilst you are running items in RM.

What version of Windows has it got, single glazed, double or triple glazed...

I mean MS Windows LOL

PJ, he has 7 Windows single glazed, but is thinking about upgrading 10 to triple glaze, as soon as his son says it is safe to do so.  Wasn't that to be after bedding down of the November update John?  It seems to me to be fine now, with a couple of subsequent updates presumably having solved issues.  Going great guns on my new laptop, still an intermittent BSOD problem to solve on my old, but plenty of online posters giving the same solution I'm yet to implement.

Sorry, how's the mouse?  Good suggestions by PJ.

PJ, hi, dont think its the mouse. RM, very sensative to scrolling down. As fishy said, i am still in the old school, as no intention of paying to lease windows 10. What i was asking more about was does anyone control their trains with mouse, by clicking on the on screen mouse emblem. Cos that might be a way round it. November update, has done nothing to end the leasing rumours.  My son has now moved to managerial post with Apple, in Texas, so may look  that way for new desktop. He is more adamant than before that leasing is on the cards. That however, does not solve my flickering issue. john

PJ, hi, dont think its the mouse. RM, very sensative to scrolling down.  john

You would know if it was the mouse John, if the mouse cursor moves to fast slow it down.

I use my mouse in RM no problem but, I slowed the mouse down.

I also stopped all unnecessary programs running in the back ground through the day. All file/folder syncing and Backups are programmed to run every night. If you don't stop unnecessary programs running in the background, they affect computer performance and could affect timing in RM. That is the last thing you want!

I find that sometimes when I am using the scroll bar on the locos list to find a loco, then the scroll gets "locked on" after a click and the scroll takes the loco list all the way to the bottom. This usually happens when I am running a program to drive a train. It is one of the reasons I requested, as a Desirable Feature, to be able to open up and close down a selected loco throttle under control of a program, so that I don't have to scroll up and down the loco list to find it.

Ray

I tried the mouse control a few times but found it not so good as although I could walk around and control the loco, I could only control one at a time and since I usually have 2,3 or 4 running at a time. I had to run back to the laptop and select another loco to control a different one. After a few crashes, I just gave up on the remote mouse control and just left it next to the computer.

Another tip maybe for someone is that I created a train group called Session. At the start of a run,I would add whatever locos I was going to run that day , select the Sessions group and that way I didn't have to scroll down through the whole list of trains  I usually only run 4 max and they would all be visible on the screen. Makes it very fast to select another engine. At the end of the day, I just remove them from the group

I find that sometimes when I am using the scroll bar on the locos list to find a loco, then the scroll gets "locked on" after a click and the scroll takes the loco list all the way to the bottom. This usually happens when I am running a program to drive a train. It is one of the reasons I requested, as a Desirable Feature, to be able to open up and close down a selected loco throttle under control of a program, so that I don't have to scroll up and down the loco list to find it.

Ray

Hello Ray,

Nice to read from you again ;o)     Happy New Year.

I confirm I have experienced the same issue you have detailed here.

Fozzy bear, hi, i was expecting a lot of guys would have tried this way of controlling, but obviously not. Like the session idea. Its a new thing, this  sensative mouse, disturbing RM, and screen. Did not occur on my older machine. Perhaps newer mice more sensative. Its when you scroll, then click. Will look into PJs idea of slowing it down. Have also Experienced Rays problem. I am very happy to drive with Elite, and Walkabout, its just quicker to scroll down and click on loco, to play sounds. Having now started putting sounds on Elite, am very pleased with results, but it means finding all instructions, or putting each loco on screen in turn, to enter functions in Elite. Also, not sure about the diesel, ramping up. PJ, have you booked your joiner yet. Pity you are so far away, i would have done it for you. john

@John

You don't have to put the sounds on the Elite they are already there in each locos decoder - all you have to do is have the list of which F-number plays what tune.

e.g F1 will turn most sound decoder background racket on be it steam or diesel engine startup routine.

Not yet young John

It has take a week to strip the old layout, I can only do bit at a time and have to sit  to do most. My wife will take unsalvageable items to tip in next day or so. She then has to empty and move wardrobes away from 'my new wall' 

So a bit to do yet John. I will be preparing a small board with signals on and preparing a basic short layout in RM for testing the signals.That will be my next job so that I am ready when HRMS ask us to test the changes they make. 

Once wife does her bit a wall plate will be bolted to wall for layout to hinge on, then the boards and supports need sorting so I will be down a while.

The good news is I will not need many droppers for DCC Bus on new layout. ;o)  All track except turn-outs will be 3' lengths of Flexi track. I have the first 16 lengths coming this week, but will plan the big one, points/turn outs and motors nearer the time. It is planned, just hope it works out as planned  ;o)

RAF, hi, think my confusion got worse. I have all loco sounds in RM, for each loco, eg CON, but unless i find the list, or dial uo where they are on what functions, i wont know what is what. I did not put them on Elite, just pressed corresponding function in RM, eg, func 0 sound on, etc. . john

John, as RAF said, you can't put anything on the Elite, just select functions already programmed into the decoder.  It's the same with RM, the functions are still in the decoder but RM allows you to label the function buttons used to call them up from the decoder, and also specify whether latched or not.  With Elite, you have to select the function a second time to turn off latched functions.

PJ, a wireless mouse?///   , i can just about afford to put bread on the table, my mouse, is a logitech one, supplied by Noah. I have to make do and mend. Mind you, following my downsizing post, i could go and look for an old one, in workshop. Fishy, hi, i thought latched referred to my front door. Never understood that. john

@John

Now that I have re-read and better understand your comment about using functions with the Elite I can see why I confused you.

You are not trying to enter functions into the Elite, you are just exasperated with the convoluted button pushing to get to the correct screen to play them.

This is the second post I have re-read and changed my understanding of what I thought I had read to what was actually written - maybe I am starting to enter my dotage.

RAF,  Starting ???.  i was there months ago. Working buttons on elite, a bit like trying to talk to your bank. press, 1, you now have 4 choices, etc etc.. I am getting there, and its good. I am confused enough, just getting up in the morning, let alone, playing buttons. john

Archived