Hornby Class 40 TTS

Bigskybirds

Hi everyone

This is my first post but I have been Railway Modelling for over 55 years. I have just added a Hornby TTS class 40 to my collection and have a couple of questions.

The function F9 cold start does not appear to do anything when pressed (once or twice), my main controller is an eLink using Railmaster but when my computer is off I use a Prodigy Express. The F9 does nothing with either controller. All other sound functions work as they should.

Also I have set the overall sound value to 1 by program on the main but it is still to loud for me, has anyone tried to make any modifications to reduce the overall sound level?

Thank you in advance for any advice given.

First check the function is described in RM with the on/off appendix or it will play F9 briefly and trip back to F9 off in a second or two so sounding much the same in either mode.

The cold start function simulates what it says on the tin. Press it once and it latches in the diesel equivalent of the choke on a Morry Minor.

When its on the start seuence is extended with lost of coughs and splutters and when it is off the start is more prompt.

I have several TTS diesels and they are all definitely different. In fact an early Class 37 (with incorrect starter/generator sounds) I have sounds like a very clapped out Cortina when on cold start.

Regarding sound level - even though you have set the overall level to 1 you can still adjust each CV for fine tuning - see the manual.

@BSB

TTS can run either a 4 ohm (louder) or 8 ohm (quiter) speaker without problems but I would be wary about going too far away from these values.

Something you can do to improve the sound clarity is to use blu tak to seal around the speaker enclosure, especially where the wires exit. This will drive the sound 'forward' from the speaker and prevent 'leakage' from the back side which affects the limited frequency range of TTS.

Just for interest as it will not affect your standard TTS installation, but I have re-installed 2, 3 & 4 cylinder TTS steamer decoders (cylinders by loco designation only - as I don't believe there is any difference at all in the recordings - they are all probably based on Tornado with studio tweaks)  to locos with the same number of cylinders and the sound output is much the same apart from the way I have mounted the standard 28mm diam speaker (face up or down in the tender).

My Mallard has the speaker mounted face up and holes are drilled in the coal load, whereas my B1 has the speaker face down sounding out through the chassis holes. My Coronation streamliner has the speaker mounted face down also. Mallard is most noticeable on the layout - all other decoder volume settings being equal (all set at value 1 as its a small room).

Diesels are another thing and I have the cab doors propped open on my DCC Ready Class 56 to get decent sound whereas my Railroad Class 56 is fine with sound exiting trough the engine exhausts. Class 37 is standard fit but speaker is well sealed with gunge. All diesels have the speaker face up into the body.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I have the same problem with cold start on the hornby class 40 tts, how to i change it to on/off in railmaster (with e-link)? There doesnt seem to be any way of changing this?

also "lights" appears in my Sounds list on the main screen, even though i have it unticked in loco settings, the loco has no lights so i want rid of this button.

Percy

open the loco list in RM and select your loco.

on the right hand side is a column of functions, each with a description and some with on/off as well.

If F9 doesnt already have on/off there click on the description and place your cursor at the end of the text (cold start) and type in a space followed by on/off (So it looks like cold start on/off).

save the screen and it will appear in the expanded throttle buttons.

as for F0 lights click in that one and pull down and select not used, then save the loco. If you cant see not used it is usually top of the list.

to use cold start just select the F9 button and when you use F1 to start the engine it will run the cold start sequence instead of the normal start sequence.

Percy,

To save me retyping it out again and modifying it for your particular query. Have a look at this previous reply by me (2nd reply down on the linked page). For your particular issue focus on step 5 in my step by step list. You edit the RailMaster button label in the 'Loco Settings' screen. The reply in the link below (as written) related to a different user issue, but step 5 is common to your query as well.

Also, you change (delete) the label on the 'lights' button by using the 'pull down arrow' on the end of the label box and choose the 'Not used' entry.

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/r3459tts-decoder-not-recognized/?p=1/

EDIT: RAF beat me to it by 40 seconds, but with basically the same answer.

Archived