0-6-0 DCC loco stalling on insulated frog

garrettendi

Hi

Due to my being new to the hobby I have decided to stick to insulated plastic frogs for the time being, and I at the moment have the Hornby Western Master set with the 0-6-0 Pannier Tank loco.

But the problem is the loco stutters and sometimes stops entirely on the point, which I believe is due to the plastic frog.

It seems illogical for Hornby to have provided plastic frog points in a set with a loco that can't run over it, so I hope there is a way to prevent this without switching to electric frogs. Is this the case and if so, what can I do?

Thanks!

@garrettendi.........Firstly - the point must be fixed down to the baseboard absolutely flat (even bluetack will help if you don't use track pins).........the track and loco wheels must be clean especially where the pickups wipe the wheel flanges........then remember that the plastic frog is only 22mm long so you have always got 4 wheels of the loco in contact with the track at any one time as it crosses the point so you can't really blame the point too much.....You may need to increase the start voltage in CV2 to improve slow running. HB

Hi howbiman

I'm actually planning to pin all my track down this weekend, so I'll certainly make sure the point is flat as possible. It's worth noting that up until now I've always laid the track on a TrakMat, which of course isn't flat due to folding creases.

As for the clean wheels, the entire set is almost brand new, but I'll check the wheels if fixing the point down firmly doesn't yield any response.

An additional question: I have a 0-4-0 loco I haven't had a chance to test out yes. This of course, only has 4 wheels, will that be a lost cause or should it still run ok pending the points in your above reply?

It may be worth while checking that all the contacts still touch the wheels when the wheels moved from side to side. This is best done by turning the loco upside down and looking very closely. Also if it is just one contact a clue might be if the loco only has this problem in one direction (that is turning from left or right rather than forward or reverse)

It may be worth while checking that all the contacts still touch the wheels when the wheels moved from side to side. This is best done by turning the loco upside down and looking very closely. Also if it is just one contact a clue might be if the loco only has this problem in one direction (that is turning from left or right rather than forward or reverse)

• 4 weeks later...

HI,

You might also try this little test: Place the centre wheels of your 060 on the the plastic frog. See if it 'rocks' like a see-saw. I had this problem, it's a fraction of a millimeter but enough to create a weak electrical contact. I shaved a little of the top of the frog with a chisel. Its a delicate job and easy to ruin the points, so proceed with caution if you do. But it worked for me.

Hi,

I'm new here so know a lot less! However, I have the same loco from the set and it is a poor runner and stalls on points. In contrast we have a set 0-4-0 that goes over the same points really well at a very slow speed with only the very occasional stutter. 

I think it is a combination of factors on this loco - namely the pickups are losing contact with the wheels and the wheels lose contact with the track. I have been able to improve running considerably by shaping the pickup wipers differently (by bending then back to create a sort of loop) and therefore better contact with the wheels. With the body off I measured the volts on the wheels when stalled and in some cases I get no readings while other times something like 2 volts! 

I think with the rocking motion as described above the loco turns into a 0-4-0 or even a 0-2-0 and then hits the plastic frog and stalls. Improvements can be made if you are happy to play and adjust it. It got worse for me before it got better but worth the effort in the end!

It isn't just DCC locos that do it, DC ones do as well. The problem as has been stated is to do with the points not being flat enough. This causes all sorts of hassles, but the frog is often raised ever so slightly in the centre which doesn't help. I had some always derailing my freight wagons. I dealt with them using a very small file and filed out the plastic so that it didn't ride up. It has also improved loco running on said section as well. 2 wheels (on opposite sides) with decent pickups would be enough to make a train work, but the more pickups the better. Even my RailRoad tornado is essentially a glorified 0-6-0 as only the driving wheels have pickups. 0-4-0s are useful for small lines and shunting engines.

XYZ

Drill a hole as near to the centre of the points as you can and fix with a track pin. 

That looks an interesting sugestion WTD.  

I have problems over points with some Loco's and since reading your post, I have noticed that I can push the centre of most of my points down by about 1mm? and this despite the track and points being fixed down with track pins.

The next time I have a problem I will try this 'solution'.  Thank you.

Archived