CV's to operate direction lights

Hi,

Narrow Gauge, Railmaster / elink, Windows 7 Dell Laptop.

Finally got the sound working.on the Dapol HST with the Loksound micro 4.0 in the dummy car and a GaugeMaster DCC23 decoder in the motor unit.  While the sound is working, i cant seem to get the lights to function, would anyone be able to help on this?   I have run the loco settings for the dummy car with with the decoder plugged into the motor unit so the sound works ok but no lights.

Thanks in advance

Colin

Colin in a previous post we discussed changing CV29 to enable 128 speed steps (presumably for the decoder in the motor unit). 128 speed steps also needs to be enabled for the directional lighting feature to function. Can't explain why, just a statement of fact.

So you will need to connect your 'dummy car decoder' up to a motor again and check CV29 to ensure 128 steps is enabled as per previous post.

Yet another undocumented feature in Hornby RM manual......

The simple way is to put both decoders on the prog track at once and give them the same address and other settings. This avoids having to bootstrap a load motor onto the dummy.

I know you are using eLink but for the benefit of others, the Elite will now program a dummy decoder without a motor load - one of its previous failings. Its in the book.

Thanks everyone,  all up and working, really amaznig the sound and lights,  I triad the idea suggested by RAF96, however i do have two different decoders  in each loco and the software picked up the Gaugemaster.  so i reverted back to plugging in the loksound decoder into the motor and change the CV to equate to 128 steps, which was 2.  Checked this was the same fo rthe gaugemaster and they worked.

Regards

Colin

Colin, I know this has probably been a fairly long winded painful process to get your HST sorted, but one learns more when things don't go strictly to plan. Next time it will 'bish, bash, bosh'.....job done. Next time directional lights don't work on a new loco purchase, you'll know to look at CV29 straight away etc.

CV29 is the root of all DCC evil....

...learn its internal workings and ye shall become its master.

Its all done in bits and binary, but you can simply overcome this using the CV29 calculator (see previous link to 2mm gauge site) and/or RM's built in tick list table.

Once you get in your head that any particular CV29 value setting generates a unique decimal number which represents a particular configuration of those settings then you have sorted it.

How it gets there is by way of a number, which can only represent a single set of circumstances within the range.

CV29 is the root of all DCC evil.......learn its internal workings and ye shall become its master.

Its all done in bits and binary

Colin, if you or anybody else for that matter, is feeling masochistic and really want to understand the inner workings of binary and how it relates to CV29. Then you could have a look at my previously posted “CV Bits Tutorial V3.PDF” posted download link in the very bottom reply on this previously posted page. This is an in-depth mathmatical theory document and not necessarily relevant to the majority who are quite happy clicking RM check boxes without any understanding of the underlying theory. But for those who have an interest, worth a look.

Some decoders use this 'bit' selection technique on some CVs other than CV29, so understanding the theory could be useful in those non CV29 scenarios.

Archived