Issues launching railmaster

I recently purchased a western master elink set but I have had issues trying to get the loco to move. I have tried to use the activation key to activate it fully but so far it seems to keep coming up with 'un able to enter resource -12029' I have unblocked the firewall etc but it still refuses to work. the problem seems to be that the railmaster software cannot connect with the controller. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi and welcome to the forum...

There are several posts across the forum discussing similar issues to your own. A very good starting point for you in this circumstance would be to take a look at the RailMaster Help Site (one of the three locked threads at the top of this sub forum) which was written by myself and is very in depth.

A second of these threads will also offer up some help but, first, you should take a good look at this one as I suggest and if a problem still exists then there must be a further problem with your PC, laptop or hardware.

The thread mentioned above will offer all sorts of guidance to you to help elimate all probabilities and therefore give you the best chance possible of getting your setup and loco working. The software does not need activating just to use one loco and while it does have limitations of use you are given full functionality almost just to try it out and see if it is what you need.

Use the Help Site and if further problems still exist then let us know.

Direct link: http://octaviancs.com/railmaster/rm.php (this will open in a new window so you don't lose this page).

M_G welcome to the forum with your 1st post.

As AC says, get to the stage where you can control a single loco in 'Evaluation' mode. Then worry about getting it activated later.

In addition to the external site that AC gave a link for. Work your way through the locked post (yellow icon) at the top of the forum Railmaster section titled "Railmaster: Setting Up and getting Started". At this stage, I would recommend scrolling down to the bottom of that posted thread and concentrate on the last two replies you will find there.

Pay particular attention to the one titled "Railmaster and Windows 10" don't be put off by the title if you haven't got Windows 10 as it is valid for all Windows versions. Pay particular attention to the reference to adding two additional lines to your railmaster.ini file for eLink. See RM manual version 1.63 page 33 for instructions on how to access and edit your railmaster.ini file.

Then follow the start-up process documented in the other post titled "System Start Up". If you follow these two post to the letter, then you should be able to operate a max of two locos with RM in 'evaluation mode'.

Once that is successful, go back to the beginning of that thread and work systematically through the earlier parts of the thread regarding Security and AV configurations to get your product activated.

No disrespect to yourself, but it is not the first time a poster has sworn blind that they have performed all the security configurations. Then when HRMS have logged into that users PC to correct the issues have found that the configurations have not been performed correctly. It is extremely rare that correct security configuration doesn't work.

It would also be helpful to us to provide additional assistance if you were to state:

What version of Windows?

What AV product you are using?

thank you all for the help. I have consulted both the website and the forum guide to setting up railmaster but unfortunately I am still none the wiser. I have tried disconnecting and reconnecting the controller but no option regarding any 'drivers' or 'ports' can be found Anywhere. If it helps my computer runs on Windows 8.

There is a Hornby document copy here that is dedicated to installing the drivers. My original RM installation was on a Win 8 machine and following the Win 8 instructions in the above linked document got me nowhere. I believe there are some screen shot errors in the section relating to the Windows 8 section of the document. Instead I followed the section for Windows 7 (should only need to follow Steps 1 & 2 in the Windows 7 document section) and my driver then installed first time. Since then I have upgraded my W8 machine to W10.

The driver is the software that you have to put into windows so that the Railmaster application software can communicate with the hardware, in your case eLink. If the driver is not installed, then RM cannot see your eLink, thus you cannot move locos.

In the case of Windows 8 the driver is provided by Microsoft. The very first time you connected your eLink and powered it up. This is before you install RM. Your Win 8 PC should have said something along the lines of new hardware detected and initiated the driver installation process. This has to happen and be completed before any drivers will show up in Windows.

When the driver is installed, the eLink has to be connected and powered before the driver will appear in Windows 'Device Manager' under the 'Ports (COM & LPT) branch of the tree. In windows 8 it should be listed as something similar to USB Serial (Com x) where x = the com port number assigned as part of the installation. X should ideally be less than 5.

To open Windows Device Manager....type "Device Manager" in the application search box or type "devmgmt.msc" in the 'Run' dialogue box (without the " "). Remember, you won't find the reference to USB Serial (Com x) in device manager if your eLink is not connected and powered.

If USB Serial (Com x) is not listed, then the driver has not yet been successfully installed yet.

Once the USB Serial (Com x) driver appears listed in 'Device Manager' you must then do the railmaster.ini modifications outlined in the previous replies.

If all else fails. There is a support request function built into Railmaster (see RM manual version 1.63 page 134). Use this to explain that you are at a complete loss as to how to set your software up and request that they log in to your PC to assist you.

You should get an automated reply almost instantly that the support request has been accepted. if you get an error message that the request failed for any reason ** then use the direct external e-mail address support@rail-master.com

** you will almost certainly get this error message if you still have not set up your security correctly yet.

You should then be directed by HRMS (Hornby RailMaster Support) what to do next. In principle it invloves connecting your PC to the Internet and running some software (remote access client). This (I believe) requires you to type in a unique code number (HRMS should advise, what and how). Once initiated, HRMS will be able to see your screen and control your cursor remotely. You can then sit back and watch what they do to correctly configure your system.

PS - You support request shouldn't come as a complete shock to them as HRMS monitor this Railmaster section of the forum and read all posts. So it would be wise to include in your 'support request' a reference to this "Issues launching Railmaster" thread, they can then read the background info to your issue.

Archived