Converting R93 Silver Fox to dcc

Rentcha

I am returning to raileay modelling after 25 years doing other things. I wish to convert a tender drive Silver Fox (R93) to dcc with a Lens standard decoder. I have seen videos of guys converting 5 pole ringfield motors successfully but with a different tender to mine and I think I would have difficulty locating the chip in the tender. So I intended to fit the chip in the loco but cannot find how to dismantle the loco body to find a place to locate it. The Hornby service sheet doesn't reveal how to dismantle the loco body as far as I can see. Can anyone help please?

Hi

The most important thing is to ensure after removing all wires on the motors two brush strips is to test these strips to al the wheels and any metal of the motor chassis. There must not be any connection. If there is it MUST be removed before proceeding as a connection left will result in immediate decoder failure on DCC rail power!

Secondly, any DC loco must run faultlessly on DC power before any conversion is considered. Any hesitancy to start or general poor running needs correcting. If it's a poor DC runner it will become far worse on DCC! 

There is normally room in the tender for a decoder. This shows conversion of a similar Ringfield tender drive loco...   http://www.brian-lambert.co.uk/DCC.html#The  Note the decoder is on top of one of the weights and well insulated from the metal of the weight.

Archived