Networked laptop help please

Hi all I am using Rail Master on a Windows 7 PC and wish to use my Windows 8 laptop as a networked slave controller, where do I get the software from (i presume I need to get a license), within the guides I have it describes installing on hand held devices but not a second PC, any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated best regards Darren.

Daz, welcome to the forum with your 1st post.

The HandHeld applications (APPs) are meant for mobile devices that use operating systems such as Apple IOS, Android & Windows CE. They are not designed for Windows PCs. To use a Windows 8 PC as a 'Slave' you would need to run a second copy of the full RailMaster application on it. Since the Hornby RM license only supports a single PC, then you would have to buy a second full version of RM (R8144) to get the second full license.

Others here who use a 'Master & Slave' configuration will need to comment with regard the 'pros & cons' and what issues, if any, to be aware of.

Note: In RM there is a system configuration option to run RM without a controller connected. The Windows 8 slave would use that configuration setting. See also, page 29 of the version 1.63 RM manual.

Thankyou for your reply, I didn't anticipate having to spend another £70 to use my second laptop as a slave, (rather expensive considering the elink and RM software I have only cost £68 from Hattons) I thought there would be a stripped down windows version for such a situation (similar to the handheld software versions). I've read posts on here where other users are using 2 PC's together, if your one of these people did you have to buy two licenses at £70 a throw ?

You would have thought that it would not be beyond the wit of man (HRMS) to have RM know that it is configured as a slave (perhaps an additional feature of ProPack) and share the license of the Master. Or have a special slave activation code license at a much reduced price, a kind of ProPackPlus. The license then auto reverts back to evaluation mode if any attempt to connect a controller is attempted.

Or as other software vendors do. Have a tiered licensing structure. So much for one license, so much for two etc with each multiple discounted. For example, I bought a three PC AV license for just a few quid more than a single PC one.

I use remote desktop, my windows XP is the main one connected to the controller and rail master, and I have enabled the rd function so it can be controlled by any other laptop or tablet I have, no need for a second licence as it is only required on one machine,

I use remote desktop, my windows XP is the main one connected to the controller and rail master, and I have enabled the rd function so it can be controlled by any other laptop or tablet I have, no need for a second licence as it is only required on one machine,

Good call dynax, thats what I'll do,many thanks

• 2 weeks later...

I have 2 licences. One of my PCs is connected to my Elite, the other is elsewhere. The problem is, I can't write programs on the slave terminal. This is problematic for me as the slave terminal shows a different track plan than the master terminal as my layout is on 2 levels and I can't fit my upper level tracks on the diagram for the lower level. The lower level alone takes up a full screen on 50% size.

To set up the PC to link to another PC, click on the spanner, on the General tab set controller A to None, click on the Loco detection tab and at the bottom is the Master Terminal IP address. Type in the static IP address and it should connect.

Archived