Elite with Bachmann

DelGreco

Hi all,

So I have spent a full day trying to convert my 009 layout (very small loop with some sidings) to DCC, and have hit some problems.

The loco I am using is a 20 year old Roco loco, model number 33201.
The decoder is a Bachmann 36-556RA (6 pin, with right angle pins, due to space)
The DCC controller is the Hornby Elite, firmware 1.41, in standard mode.
I also have the Railmaster software linked to the Elite via USB.

I have a separate programming track, and the layout.

I can read all the paramaters from the decoder, and CV values, via the Elite, and also with Railmaster through the Elite, however, only on the programming track. (Reading values via operate mode on the layout just returns an error however.)

I can also control the train on the main layout, with both the Elite, and through Railmaster and the Elite.

My issue is that I cannot write any values to the decoder at all. Not via the programming track, or the operate mode, despite the write appearing to work. (When I read the value after writing, it is still the original value.

I have read loads of articles online, and tried many different fixes, including

• disconnecting the layout and only having the programming track connected.
  • Only having a track connected via the "track" connection, and programming via the "operate" mode
  • Check the lock CV values 15 &16 both match
  • clean the wheels, track etc,
  • check the wiring and for short circuits 

However, I still have the problem that I cannot write any values to the decoder.

If anybody could shed any light, it would be massively appreciated.

Many thanks.

Del

/media/tinymce_upload/cb6197d7d7a5b1e75c7fe95e9245197c.JPG-resized.jpg

Long ago - June last year from memory - it was reported on the forum that the Elite had a problem with readback and programming of some Bacchy decoders (but that was the 36-558 and/or 36-558A - one is not DC capable the other is) but only after updating to v1.42, but OK when the OP reverted to v1.41, which you have. Maybe there will be a v1.43 fixing it back again.

Reback of CV values on the main in Operate mode is not possible apparently unless Railcom is enabled and your decoder is capable - see current Elite manual Pages 25 and 40.

My understanding is (unless someone corrects me) is that using the RM interface only communicates to the loco decoder using 'Direct' mode, regardless what what programming mode the Elite might be put in. Thus, if you want to try the other programming modes that Elite supports you have to use the physical knobs and buttons on the Elite.

Can't remember the exact post this was in, but I seem to recall that certain Bachmann decoders could only be configured using the Elite 'Register' programming mode. Page 27 of the Elite 1.41 user guide manual on how to access and use 'Register' mode. Loco will need to be ON THE PROGRAMMING TRACK in this mode.

Hi All, thanks for all the replies and help.

@RAF, @Howbiman, Regarding reading CV values on the programming track, I was only attempting that to try and cover all scenarios.

@Raf, @Chrissaf, I will attempt again using the write using the register modes on the Elite. (not using Railmaster via the Elite.) and post the results.

Fingers crossed, the register mode allows writing of CV values.

Just out of curiosity, @RAF, you mentioned about the different firmwares for the Elite. Do you know if it is possible to find alternative firmwares, and how to put them on the Elite? It may be that a slightly older firmware is more suitable for my setup, and would be nice to force that onto my controller.

Kindest Regards all,

Delalio

Delalio,

Here is the download link for the current Elite 1.42 firmware installation ZIP file. Unzip the file, it contains the firmware updater and instructions. Note: Elite 1.43 has not been released yet. Older firmwares are not downloadable from the Hornby site.

https://www.hornby.com/media/wysiwyg/Hornby/Pages/Hornby_DCC/Elite_v1.42_Update.zip

• Note that this updater is unlikely to work on Windows 8x.
  • Up to Windows 7 should be OK
  • No reports have been made yet regarding updater compatibility with Windows 10

I have all v1.4 onwards but i would have to work out a way of posting links to them -  could take a day or so.

as to loading them even if you are say v1.42 then loading v1.4 would take the Elite back to there.

@chris no reason why the updater won't work in any Win version. The only difference is the drivers per the instructions with each version.

@Chris

Having read your comment again... I had forgotten that the Elite update has played silly B's using Win 8 and 10 in the past.

The actual mechanics of the updater works fine but the update itself doesnt usually install with these two OS.

Rob, I wasn't going to push the point regarding Win 8x updating failing. But I do appreciate your statement retraction. If only for the sake of providing consistent info that isn't contradictory for the benefit of others reading.

Chris

PS - I see what you mean though, my original text inferred the updater itself wouldn't run in Win 8x, which it does. It is performing its function successfully that has the problem, which of course is what I meant.

These days Chris I find I increasingly need all the prompts I can get....

...as such I would never take offence at being corrected.

As you say we would wish for accurate advice to be promulgated across the forums.

You learn something new every day, new word on me:

promulgateˈprɒm(ə)lɡeɪt/verbpast tense: promulgated; past participle: promulgated promote or make widely known (an idea or cause).

I looked it up because I thought you might have meant "propagated".

Just out of curiosity, @RAF, you mentioned about the different firmwares for the Elite. Do you know if it is possible to find alternative firmwares, and how to put them on the Elite? It may be that a slightly older firmware is more suitable for my setup, and would be nice to force that onto my controller.

@ Delalio

Here you go:

They are zip files so click the link for the version you want, then choose save to your HDD, then extract all to somewhere safe and run the .exe file for the installer.

http://myweb.cytanet.com.cy/honnor/downloads.html

• 2 weeks later...

A brief look at the decoder manual shows this is a very capable decoder. There is a caution in the troubleshooting section that both the decoder and the controller must be in 128 speed step mode for most lighting FX to work correctly.

Hello all,

so, a quick update.

I am able to set decoder values in Paged and Register modes. CVs are best set through Paged mode.

I am now however struggling to change the lighting / hyperlight features. the cv values are being updated, but they are not taking effect anywhere. very frustrating. i will post an update once i have more info.

@RAF : Thanks for the updated Firmwares. much appreciated.

D

Archived