Ambient Station Sound files

Guest Chrissaf

If anybody is interested I have created a sound file in WAV format that can be added to the Railmaster sounds folder. The files can then be called up by 'running' a RM program.

There are three files contained within this downloadable ZIP file. A composite 'Stereo' file. A 'left' channel file and a 'right' channel file. The file plays a short sequence of slamming doors with ambient station background sounds followed by two blasts of a platform guards whistle and the guard calling out 'All Aboard".

When the linked page opens, you will find a download button on the top navigation bar to the left hand side. You will of course have to 'unzip' the file to access the individual WAVs.

Sorry John, not that I have played about a lot with RM sounds, but the only way I have found so far to trigger the sounds from within RM is via a RM program. They are basic industry standard WAV files, so you could place them on your PC desktop, then just double clicking them should play them with Windows media player.

PS John, you seem to have now mastered unzipping ZIP files. That was something you posted about some time ago. Well done!

Chrissaf, its a age thing. Today, i clicked on your link, and clicked to open the file. Memo to self, what is a file. Just been attacking the front gate with one of them. No wonder there was no improvement. I did write one programme when i first got RM, but have slept since then. Have also mastered sounds on Elite. Did i say mastered, well at least i can make them play when train runs. If only i could stop losing RM, every time i click the mouse to scroll down, my day would be a little  more complete. john

For anybody wondering about why Chris has given 3 files.

RM can play sounds to left and right speakers, which in my case are located at each end of the layout.

On a laptop the sounds would come out of the left and right sides of the screen but obviously not as noticeably far apart.

Or you could use the stereo file to play through both speakers at once say for a centrally placed station.

As your PC sound out is for a stereo jack plug then to be able to use left and right channels as I did you can buy a splitter plug from the likes of Maplins that allows you to plug mono speakers in. I used old car hands free speakers which had jack plugs attached so this was the easy way rather than cutting and fettling wires. 

Or in my case, I have a small kit built Stereo amplifier (10 + 10 watts) that connects directly to the laptop via a 3.5mm stereo jack plug and the two underboard speakers connect into that. The kit built amp took about an hour ** to put together and is a small open PCB of 50mm x 75mm dimensions and screwed directly to the underside of the baseboard.

Rapid amp kit including two speakers under £10

PS - for such a low price, the sound is surprisingly good. I did however build the speakers into home made sealed housings made of MDF to improve the BASS response.

Being a 'belt n braces' man I fitted the recommended optional IC heat sink that is not supplied in the kit.

Note ** an electronics novice would probably need 3 to 4 hours.

I have a selection of sounds attached to a series of programmable floating keys so I can play them at any time by simply pressing the relevant button (p36 of the manual). Having an end to end layout, one speaker is placed at the RH end of the layout and the station anoouncements etc sound are played through that and the general sounds (such as the passing aircraft) through the LH speaker positioned half way down the layout. I also have some looping sounds (storms, wind etc) files which I play through Groove Music. This allows for a continuous background sound to which the Railmaster sounds can be added. With sound chipped locs as well, the whole lot adds up to a fairly realistic sound stage.

@ chrissaf..........hi Chris, thanks for the ambient station sound file..............I have uploaded it to an old Nokia mobile so once opened I only have to press the button and off it goes.........brilliant!  Now to create a playlist with other relevant sounds like traffic and shunting etc....whatever next?    HB.

Archived