programming in RM

I recently bought the RM and eLink package. Was able to install it quite quickly under Windows 10. The software was activated (a bit more troublesome as I have McAfee), but by disabling McAfee for a short time, everything went fine. I read all the manuals and defined my four locs.

While waiting for these four locs which are currently rebuilt from analogue to DCC, I wanted to give a go at programming, so I defined a track. Now all is fine, until I try to start programming. None of the buttons (start/secs, resource, etc.) work.

I should note that I try to do this while the eLink is not attached.

What is wrong?

Hello Peter,

Welcome to the Forum. Most people start creating a program by recording a sequence of steps. You can find out how to do this on page 106 of the Guide. When you stop the recording, RM will ask you whether you want to see the recorded program, and will take you into the program editor to allow you to fine-tune the program.

Have a try at this and see if you still have problems.

Ray

Hi Ray,

Thank you for this, but not having any DCC locs back yet from the conversion, I wanted to give it a try manually. That should work as well and I don't understand why it isn't.

To do something similar as you suggested: I have copied the sample program into another folder and gave it there a different name. Then I copied it back with its new name to the original folder. I have opened it under the new name and can now edit it. But it still escapes me why I have to do it this way.

Peter

Good that you have sorted it Peter, but please remember that even if you have no track built yet and no physical locos or even points motors, you can still press the buttons on screen and RM sends the eLink off to tell the phantom locos to run around a phantom track and change phantom points, so you can still practice your programming using the record macro facility.

Until we get loco detection RM has no real idea what is going on.

Hello Peter,

Welcome to the Forum. Most people start creating a program by recording a sequence of steps. You can find out how to do this on page 106 of the Guide. When you stop the recording, RM will ask you whether you want to see the recorded program, and will take you into the program editor to allow you to fine-tune the program.

Have a try at this and see if you still have problems.

Ray

I think most of us aim to write programs from scratch when we start, but after doing a few we find it much easier to record a small route and then go back ad tweak/edit it. I certainly did.

I like the Avatar Ray. Nice one. 

😉

@Fishy

I have always had fish, 22 tanks at one stage, largest was 6' x 1'6'' x 2' I have had marine fish, tropical and cold water over the years. Had fire eels, large cats and more, up to 2' long. I used to breed them (smaller ones), have showed them and also fished them, sea, river and lakes. I also had a large pond with koi's and more when down south. 

Now I have had to settle for small cold water tank and a little fishing when I can in summer months.

As I say, I have always liked fish, hence the lake on my layout.

But then there is always the trains to keep me happy. I am currently rebuilding the complete layout from scratch should keep me quiet for some time I think.

I never went that far PJ, and have had more success with reef tanks than freshwater.  My last reef tank was only 2 X 18 X 18 but I had that going close on 15 years until I pulled it down last year when I moved.  That tank was pretty successful, managed to grow a couple of clams from around 2 inches until they were around 10 and squirting water out of the tank, so had to go.

Archived