Automatic level crossing with lights

PJ_model_trains

Has anyone installed an automatic barrier level crossing with lights on their layout?

Standard barrier (arm type) or newer style barrier (arm with saftey hanging section below.

I am aware of older style barrier arm, Hornby and P*** make not newer style.

I wasn't sure whether to add this in general or DCC but with DCC in mind I think this may be the best forum, hopefully. 

I have, but it was completely scratch built using a mix of Brass Tube and Plastruct. I automated it with a Tortoise point motor. The three lamp (two red with one amber) warning lamp panel used 3mm LEDs and I designed and built my own IC based control circuit.

Knowing what I know now. If I was doing this project again I would replace the Tortoise with a Servo and the IC circuit board with one built around a PIC microprocessor.

My home made one was completed two plus years ago. Since then, a number of ready built control boards have become available on the market. From the likes of:

Block Signalling

There are other similar products available, just can't lay my hands on web links just at this time.

The home made barrier and lamp panel are shown below:

/media/tinymce_upload/d528015adbddbac6db559796f08e3af0.jpg

Interesting Chris and very neat 

Another consideration for me would be to incorporate the level crossing and lights with LD sensors

I am not ready yet so will keep considering options

Train-Tech do a basic system I noticed yesterday 

http://www.train-tech.com/index.php/lighting/lfx-lighting-effect-controllers/50-lfx1s-level-crossing-with-sound

Heathcotes also do a board

http://heathcote-electronics.co.uk/uk%20barrier%20crossing.html

I am still considering all options though fortunately I am not ready yet.

I think working with LD sensors has to be a main consideration but we don't have LD yet!

Nearly all the ready made Level Crossing controllers I have seen so far use either IR detectors or magnetic Reed Switches or the option of both to trigger the automated sequence. Thus it would be simplicity itself to integrate these with LD control. The LD is configured to operate an 'always on' Accessory Decoder output. That output then operates an interface circuit ( a small reed relay for instance) to in turn trigger the Level Crossing.

The Heathcote was one on my list of forgotten web sites. Another is Express Models.

Edit: Just reviewed the Express Models video and see that it only operates the barriers. The lights are non functional.

Correction to last post. Output of Accessory Decoder probably needs to be a 'pulse' rather than 'always on' subject to exactly what the chosen Level Crossing controller expects to see as the trigger condition. The 'always on' option would be more appropriate for a controller that uses a manual toggle type switch to control the function.

I think I will wait for now Chrissaf but keep looking and listening at ideas. Thanks for your help and ideas.

It makes sense to use LD sensors which can be made to work with signals.

Hopefully LD will be launched, tested, and doing what it should, by the time I start to have working lights and barriers on the crossing.

Archived