Is there any experience of a duff number on a Select ?

Jimbo1707820979

Hello All.   I ask this question because I have 2 locos with the address of 6 and neither of them will run properly -or at all, sometimes -though they both run very well on my local dealers track.

I don't think my track is at fault since other locos are running perfectly well. Nor is there visible dirt

on the wheels or pick-up areas on the locos.  So I am now trying to identify the cause of the trouble. The Select went back to Hornby last Summer for updating and is only about a year old.

Meanwhile I plan to re-address those two locos  but I would still like to know the answer about a possible duff number.   So any input would be appreciated.

@Jimbo...........The other day you said you were going to re-address your locos with your Elite controller.....Why don't you do just that with these 2 locos and see how they run on the Select..........if the same problems persist I would suggest you reset CV8 to '8' to return the decoders to their default, give them a trial run on 003 then if all is well re-address to your desired number...........you may also benefit from resetting CV29 to '2' to turn off DC running.    HB

There have certainly been previous instances, none recent that I can remember, where specific addresses have refused to work with particular locos.  Solution has been to not use them and change.  

I don't think it has been firmly established previously whether it was decoder or controller.  I would think decoder more likely  

I agree that resetting of both decoder and controller is the most likely way to fix the problem. 

Thanks, gents.

I have just been studying my Elite manual with a view to changing the 2 loco addresses as kindly suggested by howbiman. To avoid complications with "him-who-must-be obeyed" (5 year-old boy) I am setting up a short straight track in an easily-concealed cupboard drawer, with the as-yet-unused Elite sitting alongside.  S.O.E. or La Resistance would be proud of this sneaky move on my part.  A bas Les Boches ! Then I'll see if they run OK on the Select layout.

Lovely avatar, Rog, I'm drooling with envy. Haven't yet even managed a static one myself. Though I'm a bit worried about resetting the Select. But Page 19 of the manual seems straightforward so I will take the plunge ("worries" result from previous horrific blunders on my PC's over the years esp. when I was teaching myself how to use them -no local "guru" unfortunately). I'm reassured by the manual's " DOES NOT REMOVE ADDRESSES FROM LOCOMOTIVES".

So I conclude I can then resume operating the locos as before, without any complicated key-pounding.

Later, hopefully, full use of the Elite ! 😇

@Jimbo...........You are quite safe resetting the Select controller because the loco addresses are only held in the decoders.........the Select does not have a memory............when you get into using the Elite, you can give each loco a name which shows on the screen when the address is selected but this list is deleted when you reset the Elite controller.............needs a lot of patience if you have to re-type 30 or more loco names again 🤔  HB

Just a thought............in case you had a concern, the Elite will respond to the same addresses you allocated via the Select.  HB

Archived