Kuehn Ing. Lok-decoder N45

Peter Ruifrok

I recently bought Railmaster plus eLink and just received my first two locs (were previously analogue but now contain a decoder). The very latest software has been installed.

Railmaster can read CV 7 and 8 but does not recognise the decoder.

The values are: CV7=0.35 (its string is 992073583)

CV8=157 (it says also Kuehn Ing.)

The make is a Kuehn Ing. NMRA-DCC/Motorola Lok-Decoder N45. This is a multi protocol decoder which suits both the NMRA-DCC standard as well as the Marklin-motorola format.

I do have the guidance (in German, sorry), but see no place to attach it.

Please help!

And regardless of a pop-up saying decoder not recognised or not, I would email HRMS from the facility in the RM Help window, after you have started up with one of these locos on the track, describe your problem as above and see what they have to say.

Rocrail is the only software package I know of that allows you to set your decoder protocol, so it is obviously just a code tweak And something that RM could add as a desired feature.

you have not answered if you can control these locos with RM but if not I would attempt to set the decoder to NMRA protocol - how to do this with an eLink should be possible by writing the correct value to the appropriate CV as shown in the decoder information.

if you can control locos then I would suggest the decoder is smart enough to self select the protocol used.

once you have confirmed this then maybe all will be well.

in any case let HRMS know and they can add the decoder to their database.

Hi there, thank you all for your quick reply. I was out yesterday evening and got to bed rather late -:). I am delighted to see these reactions. This forum really works.

The locs run allright on the track, do everything via railmaster as they should do, all CVs can be read and programmed. When I put the locs for the first time on the programming track, I got the error message after CV7 and CV8 had been read, and then everything stalled (I thought), so I panicked a bit and sent this message to the forum. Afterwards, when I started thinking again, I re-tried, and found that everything was in order, except for the error message. I have now done as intructed by the error message and have sent the issue to the support email address, including a PDF with the decoder manuel (in German...). But I haven't heard from Hornby yet. What I find odd is that railmaster obviously "knows" the Kuehn decoder (it must be in the databse because it links the numbers in CV8 and CV7 with the manufacturer and the version), but that still the error message pops up. Let's wait and see what Hornby has to say.

Thank you all again! Peter Ruifrok

What I find odd is that railmaster obviously "knows" the Kuehn decoder (it must be in the databse because it links the numbers in CV8 and CV7 with the manufacturer and the version)

It may be reading that information as text stored within the decoder non-volatile memory.

Although RM is picking up the maker and decoder version from the decoder and comparing them to the manufacturers listing to show you the associated text info that doesn't mean to say RM has any information about the full CV listing for that model of decoder.

RM has some info about Bachman and other decoder manufacturers but not all the data for all their decoders.

I have had RM misidentifying a TTS decoder and load a completely wrong set of CVs for it. a retry gave me the correct cv set.

If you write a new value to the CV number that your manual identifies then RM will write to that CV no matter what the table of words says it represents.

You probably cant change the description in RM for now, just the value.

e.g. if you know you want to change CV 99 to value 5 then just select it in the RM find list, change the value and write it to the decoder using the pencil icon and then it will tell you it has changed it , confirm the action and turn the text green as confirmation.

Archived