Sutton Terrier decoder fitting

Howbi

Just fitted the Hornby X9659 4pin decoder into the Sutton Terrier.......firstly, prised off the smoke box door then removed the weight which I then cut in half horizontally.........the bottom half then refitted back into the smoke box.........then using a 3mm drill, cut a slot in the internal bulkhead to facilitate feeding the decoder leads through...........I prised open the minute lugs in the decoder socket to release the wire terminals which made soldering to the motor and pick-up wires much simpler & using heatshrink to seal exposed joints..........NB.....I covered the top of the motor with very thin flexi card as it is possible for wiring pushed up into the space could impinge the rotating armature.....so a satisfactory job done and the loco runs extremely well no doubt due to having 6 wheel pick-ups. HB

There is another posting on here - somewhere!!. You can attach both the Hornby R8249 and the Digitrax DZ125 decoders to the side of the motor with bath sealant. Wiring is the usual way. No need to remove, cut any of the weights.  The decoder will sit between the motor and the body side.

@pidder

Fishy is asking if you have looked for the service sheet for you R2165 loco on the Hornby main website - Help & Advice - Service Sheets area.

Go here https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/downloads/view/index/cat/2/ then either type in R2165 into the search box

(where it says Enter a SKU, product name or resource name in the text field below) and download the result

or look for service sheet by number HSS216 in the folders.

Hi Pidder............Ignore the screws that hold the couplings..........you need to undo the the screw at each end of the bottom plate then the body lifts off.  HB

ps.......the operating and maintenance instructions should be in the box and the model no. is R3248.

@hbm

still the same service sheet as I pointed him to.

cant find a maintenance sheet though.

Hi Rob,    The one that came in the box is more detailed than the HSS..........if Pidder needs it, I could scan a copy & post on Monday.  HB.

Archived