eLink Drivers

HI,

I have inadvertently allowed my RM to upgrade to 1.64. I was scared about doing this as it normally means losing connectivity with eLink. And...I have. So, I deleted the driver as per RM instructions and now I cannot re-install it as I cannot find it anywhere and I don't have the CD.

Does anyone know where I can get this driver please? The driver is named CDC RS -232 Emulation Demo.

I am not using Windows 10.

Thanks,

Howard

Howard, don't use the blue button at the bottom of HB's post, use the big box at the bottom of the page with the green Reply button to answer, then you won't repeat HB's post.

Go back to the RM forum and read the top locked thread titled RM: Setting Up and Getting Started all the way to the bottom including the one labelled Windows 10 because it covers all versions.  Do start by first downloading the latest version from the link at the top of the RmM forum and installing over the top of what you have.

Oh, and good riddance to the CD, no reason whatsoever to go back to the completely outdated version on it.  Don't use your licence code though.

Hi Howard...........have you read through the 'eLink & Elite Drivers Guide' pdf file that is part of the download.  There are chapters referring to each Windows version and explaining how to find this file.  HB.

Yes I have but I get an error! Some windows nonsesne. I am learning to hate RM, why cant we have stability? Surely I must be able to download this from somewhere?

AP, just to add a bit of clarity to replies made by others.

If you run the installer (the file downloadable from the link at the top of the forum RM section) then a folder will be created in your RM program folder called 'drivers'. It is probably there already, as you have stated that you have updated to 1.64

This folder contains the driver files for Windows versions up to Vista, this includes XP. The driver files for Windows 7, 8x and 10 are provided by Microsoft from their online driver repository.

Installing the correct driver really isn't rocket science. If you truly have deleted the driver then all you need to do is plug in the controller into your PC (WITHOUT RM running) and 'plug n play' should come up with 'new hardware found' wizard. This wizard will give you two options. Let Windows search for the driver or manually navigate to the driver. If the wizard doesn't start, then you haven't previously fully deleted the driver correctly.

If your PC is XP or Vista, choose the manual option and navigate to the Driver folder located:

C:Program files(x86)RailmasterDrivers

If your PC is Win 7 or 8x (you have stated it is not W10) then choose the 'Let Windows Search' option. Windows should then search the Microsoft driver repository.

If the 'Found New Hardware' wizard doesn't start. Then whilst your controller is connected via USB, open 'Device Manager' and look for an entry in the Ports  LPT/Com section. Once the correct entry has been found, right click it and choose 'Update Driver' or something that reads similar. This should manually start the wizard.

The above is only a rough overview. You will need to consult the 'drivers'pdf' user guide for the detail. If you told us what version of Windows you were using, then directing you to the correct information resource would be easier.

Note: If your Windows is XP or Vista then installing the driver is a TWO stage process. If you are only completing stage 1 then that may be why you are getting a error message. Unfortunately, I am not in a position to be looking over your shoulder and advising what might be going wrong. HRMS can 'look over your shoulder' via their remote logon access capability. If you get really stuck, then ask them to log on to your PC and do it for you.

Further to last reply: Since you haven't been specific about the exact error messages you have seen. I have a suspicion that since you upgraded to RM version 1.64 that you have not modified your railmaster.ini file to add the two extra lines required to operate an eLink with this 1.64 version.

Without these extra lines in your .INI file you are very likely to get eLink communication errors. The entries you need to add relate to Alternative comms and Check controller. They are detailed and documented at the end of the locked thread at the top of the forum Railmaster section titled "Railmaster: Setting Up & Getting Started". The last post in the thread is the one you need and is titled "Railmaster & W10". Don't be put off by the reference to W10, this post is valid for all Windows versions when using RM 1.64.

See RM user guide 1.64 page 33 for instructions on how to edit your .INI file. I would recommend adding these two extra lines to your RM .INI file first before trying again to correct your driver. You might find that the driver is still installed** and that it is these two lines (if missing) that are causing your eLink communications problem.

Note** driver is probably still installed if the 'New Hardware Found' wizard doesn't start as described in previous reply.

The error messages stating 'uninstall and install' are a symptom of not having these two missing .INI lines added. Thus the error messages are a bit of a 'red herring' and misleading.

Howard, Chris has taken by the long road right around to the Windows 10 post in the locked thread where I left you, although he has been specific about the entries in your ini file.  You told us you'd done all of that but has Chris's fuller explanation found something for you that you hadn't done?

In any case, if you are still having problems, then email HRMS from the facility in the Help window of RM and they will sort you out in no time flat.  And make sure you get an immediate auto acknowledgement of that email. If not, come back to us here.

Archived