Hattons 21 pin decoder incompatible with Elite

markp123

I accidentally bought a Hattons 21-pin decoder for my class 350 and missed the part on their site "Not compatible with Hornby Elite or Select controllers".

I have an Elite with the latest firmware (V1.42) and sure enough it doesn't work!  

While I was diagnosing the problem I also tried the decoder on an eLink and to my surpise it works perfectly.

I understood that the eLink and Elite were most or less the same hardware?    This kind of suggests that the firmware on the eLink is more up-to-date than the Elite.

Out of interest can anyone elude to why this Hattons decoder is not compatible if the Elite is supposed to be NMRA compatible?  

Probably that particular decoder is not NMRA compliant.

that seems to be the only one like that DCR-21 single or multipack

Hattons live chat support says it is based on customer reports that they just don't seem to be recognised by Elite and Select but maybe eLink/RM has more up to date firm/software that does recognise the decoder. I was surprised that anyone was there this early in UK.

Thanks RAF96 that makes sense.  I didn't think it that way round that the Hattons decoder may not be NMRA compliant.  It is a budget decoder after all.

However It makes me wonder if the Elite is lagging behind firmware wise when compared to the eLink.  I hope v1.42 is not the last version.

Given the NMRA spec has been unchanged for many years, it's not as if the Elite firmware is lagging behind it.  And yes, the Elite and eLink implementations are different but, apart from the eLink communicating at a higher baud rate, they do the same job.  Then firmware updates more recently have been about how they do the job and features available rather than changes to NMRA compliance.

So given all of that, I would think it more likely to be a quirk of compliance to the NMRA spec rather than an Elite issue as such.

Oh, and welcome to the forums Mark.

• 5 months later...

Having just noticed this topic I have a Hornby Elite purchased retail about 18 months ago Firmware version 1.41 and it has worked perfectly with all my Hattons 21 pin direct decoders.I have it in a number of locos mainly Bachmann I have to admit.

Because of that incompatibility warning I am using Bachmann 21 pin decoders at about the same price.

Perhaps.  Hattons should issue a statement as to why this incompatability exists or even Hornby doing some research because it makes both Manufacturers look a little complacent leaviing the customer on the losing side financially.

Have also learnt from this article there is a newer firmware version than mine.

To update or not that is the question !

• 1 month later...

When you say these decoders dont work at Elite v1.42 what exactly does not work, is it possible to program them, can you read or write CVs, is it partial functionality or no response at all.

when you say they do work with Elite v1.41, Select and eLink is this all functionality or is there some lack of ability.

These are the sorts of things Hornby and Hattons would need to be able to investigate your problems.

please post as much detail as you can..

Bumping this post in attempt to get some response from the people who either were having problems or were not having problems with these Hattons decoders.

If you want help then you need to contribute some data positive or negative in as much detail as possible please - part number of the decoder and exactly what did not work, or if only some stuff worked - what was it.

If you want help then you need to contribute some data positive or negative in as much detail as possible please - part number of the decoder and exactly what did not work, or if only some stuff worked - what was it.

Hi Raf96,

Just seen your post and as the original poster I thought I would methodically go through want worked and didn't work for you. 

However to cut a long story short I am now mistaken - the Hattons 21 pin decoder DOES work with the Elite v1.42.  I'm not sure what I did different second time around but suddenly it's now working!  (User error no doubt)  

FYI the Hattons part number is DCR-21Pin-Direct and both track and programming succesfully work with eLink and Elite v1.42.

I cannot comment on the Hornby Select (as I do not own one), but I'm not sure why Hattons continue to state this decoder is "Not compatible with Hornby Elite or Select controllers" on their web site.

Thanks for all your help.

As follow up I contacted Hattons via their live chat and informed them of the above results and in view would they like to remove their caveat..

They said they wouldn't remove their '...incompatible with Hornby...' statement until they were 100% sure of the result. I asked if they would forward any detailed info from any '...doesn't work with Hornby kit...' complainants and they refused on grounds of company policy.

So I guess this topic is closed as the previous posts in this thread prove the Hornby kit is not at fault and Hattons doesn't want to help gather data to disprove this or help fix it if there is a problem..

It would seem that everthing in the Hattons decoder garden is rosy now and that they work with all Hornby kit at all revisions.

Rob

Hi Rob

As a matter of interest, do you know if anyone has drawn up a table showing which decoders do/do not work with the most popular controllers ?

I see you have changed your avatar.

Kind regards

Jimbo

@Jimbo

No I 'm fairly sure there isn't a definitive list, only occassional hearsay that this decoder does/doesn't/might/might not work with this or that controller, whether its a Hornby decoder or controller or any of the other makes.

Unfortunately when people make these inital statements they fail to provide enough detail at the time to carry out a proper investigation. For instance you need to provide the make of controller, its firmware revision state, the decoder make and type, its part number and any firmware revision state, (as some decoders can be updated) and details of what exactly does and doesn't work. Without this information its all a waste of time and nothing can be done to try to fix the problem.

This then leaves people with a vague idea that this or that kit is rubbish and it often wrongly tars a manufacturer for something that may be someone else's fault, and as they say muck sticks.

Avatar - yes found my old cap badge in a drawer

Rob

Archived