help with class 47 tts sound

olly

Can anyone help me with my class tts sound class 47 

I have fitted and express models lighting Kit to it . While I was fitting the lighting kit I removed the decoder to avoid damaging it and put it in a resalable bag to keep it safe . 

When I had finished the lighting kit I thought it would be best to test it with a normal non-sound decoder first which worked okay so I re-fitted the tts decoder and speaker 

When I tested this I got no lights only a faint glow from the rear lights at one end of the loco that where on all the time and no sound at all. 

I can't see what I have done wrong as I have double and triple checked everything I have even tested the TTS decoder in another locomotive still the same no function or sound it will run the motor though 

I have fitted many locos with sound and never had any problems like I'm having with the TTS ones 

I currently have my flying Scotsman back at hornby as the sound became distorted while running sounds like a speaker blown to me . We'll have to see if I ever get it back from Hornby it's already been 2 1/2 weeks .

i’am starting to think then these tts sound only last a few months and you can’t get replacements from hornby  

when I called about my flying scotsman they said that the did not have any replacement decoders to send me .I asked to speak to mark loge who had the loco picked up and sent to the repair department I called them again last Wednesday to find out if there had been any progress he just said it was with the repair department

I can't see how they are going to repair it if they have no decoders or speakers 

And now with the latest problem with the 47 I am thoroughly fed up with hornby TTS sounded decoders and hornby customer care or the lack of it ! 

Sorry if this sounds like a rant it wasn't intended as one if anyone on here has any suggestions about 47 I would be most grateful it might just save my sanity  😆

Olly, did you put it in a proper anti static plastic bag, the ones with the silvered smoky look to them, or just an ordinary bag?  If not anti static, you may have blown it.

In any case, put it all back together, incl lighting, and send it back for repair, under warranty or not.  Given they won't sell TTS decoders separately yet, this is your only option to fix it.  I think I'd be speaking to Mark Lodge agsin about the whole thing too.

And yes it does seem from these forums that there are reliability issues with these decoders.  Then Hornby seems to replace them under warranty without question when faulty.

thanks fishmanoz

yes I did put it in a proper anti static bag .i am always very careful with decoders . 

I will put it all back together, incl lighting, and see about sending it back .

I will have to call hornby again about my flying scotsman anyway so will i will mention the 47 and see what they say .i am not holding out much hope though . 

as you say the TTS decoders do seem unreliable 

Just an update on my class 47  after all the hassle I have had with Hornbys  so-called customer care

I decided to have a look at the 47 myself  as it seems to be a common problem with the speakers blowing  so you get no sound or it is distorted.

me and my friend  have had four locomotives that have had this problem.

I had a spare speaker so decided to connect it to the TTS chip .  I just unsoldered the old speaker  connected the other one in its place  and when tested it worked first time.

the speaker I had  was only a 4 ohm so I have now ordered an 8ohm  2 watt base  reflex  speaker from Peters spares which they say is ideal for replacing Hornby TTS speakers

I think I'll get much better sound when the new speaker arrives and also hopefully more reliability . I think the problem with the TTS sound speakers is their only 1 watt  most  others seem to be about 1.5 to 2 watt

chrissaf

they seem to all be different sound volumes at default some you can hardly hear some to loud . 

i wouldn't recommend anything more than volume level 4 without a better speaker even at level 4 they do blow the speakers 

you can get four speakers the same as Hornby use for £2.72 posted on eBay that's how cheap they are . 

According to the Class 67 TTS manual (downloadable from this site) the amplifier is rated at 1.68w @ 8 ohms and the speaker is 1w 8 ohm, so if there is a 4ohm speaker installed then I reckon it is pushing its luck when the volume is turned up.

Archived