Starting out with DCC controllers

Daniel05

Hello,

my son is just starting out with model railways.  He has a 'Flight of the Mallard' (DCC ready) and would like to go digital as this will no doubt become a long term hobby.  How is he better off starting?  A DCC select controller or the elite?  We are not sure about the e-Link, does this need internet connection?  Any advice appreciated.

Cheers, Dan's mum (AKA, minister for war, finance and all spending on the kids). 

Hi Dan's mum and Dan, welcome to the forums.  Let's run through those 3 controllers in price order:

Select - the cheapest and very basic offering from Hornby. It has few feature although it will allow you to address and control trains and change points etc.  It is not fully compatible with the NMRA specification that defines all things DCC so is only guaranteed to work with Hornby decoders, most of which are themselves pretty basic so don't show up Select's limitations.  If the hobby does become long term, it will soon be consigned to the bottom drawer in favour of something more capable. Many are happy with it but I wouldn't recommend it.

Railmaster/eLink - A fully functional DCC system but can only be used with a PC or laptop.  It doesn't need continuous Internet access but does need it from time to time to download the software and its updates, register it and send emails to Hornby Railmaster Support (HRMS).  It is hardly more expensive than the Select.  It does work well but can be fiddly to set up although there is a lot of support in the RM forum here and from HRMS to help you. Recommended.

Elite - Again a fully function controller but significantly more expensive thsn the other two.  Recommended by many here including those who use it with RM in preference to the eLink. Used this way you have a choice of controlling from its knobs and buttons as well as from the computer screen (eLink has no knobs or buttons).

Thats the basics for the three.  I'm sure others will be along to tell you more and offer different recommendations.  I would certainly listen to all the advice you can before spending anything.  Also Google Brian Lambert and check out his comprehensive DCC section to learn all the basics and some advanced topics.

I trust the hobby goes well for you and the family.

Thanks for that Fishmanoz.  I had done some reading but didn't realise the Elite could be used with the railmaster.  Pretty sure this will be a long term hobby, lasting into retirment.  There is a set that comes with the select and the young fella just might have to keep mowing the lawn to move up.  Looking forward to what others have to say.

In your situation, I would start exactly as you have suggested (the set which includes the Select) - just in case it is a short term interest. There is a considerable difference in price - and functionality. If, as you suggest, your son wants the better controller, he'll just have to mow faster!  😀 R-

I would want to add, if your son has a PC anyway, then purchase RM with eLink. For the limited additional costs, you purchase much more functionality, which works with other decoders as well. And he'd rather use his PC for running RM and programming his track, then for some stupid game. My 5 cent of advice.

I had similar dilemma although I had an interest and a few locos when I was younger my son now 7 had shown an interest but I didn't want to buy the wrong thing or interest too heavily. 

After a a few weeks on DC we picked up a e-link based set for £90, I was concerned about the lack of a physical control but have experienced no issues in terms of useability or 'feel'. In fact one of us will use the laptop whilst the other the rather good iPad app as we operate different parts of our small layout. But this way means we are not fighting for the one controller. 

So, I would certainly recommend the e-link especially given our kids love of tech. 

I started with the Select, before moving to the Elite.  I then added RailMaster.  I chose this option, rather then e-link because I wanted the ability to control the layout via the computer with RailMaster or manually using the Elite, or (and this is the best bit for me), both at once.  I now use the Select as a Walkabout controller.

Archived