Class 08 speeds

Spireblade

I have just put a Hornby decoder into  a Class 08 shunter (Picadilly), and programmed it accordingly using Railmaster. It works but even at max speed just crawls and frequently stops as a result. I borrowed a decoder from my 37 and running it as that loco it went much faster. I presume this can be overcome by adjusting a CV but I am a bit (a lot) green when it comes to altering the values. Could someone please guide me through which CV to alter?

Cheers

Sb, let's start with direction.  Assuming you soldered the chip in yourself, you have 2 ways of fixing it.  First, just swap the orange and grey wires on the motor (when you put a chip in, always test this before putting the body back).  Also, if you plug in an 8-pin chip the wrong way, that will be the result too, and the lights won't work, not that there are any on an 08.  You can also set direction in RM setup for all locos, and individually with ProPack in loco setup.

With speed, assuming you used the correct R number for your loco in RM, it will set a prototypical shunt and max speed, which are very slow for a shunter.  It doesn't alter CVs to do this, just puts limits in the throttle settings in loco setup, so you can adjust these in setup yourself.  You can learn more about CVs another day.

Just for the record, there is one method of changing the direction that has not been mentioned, CV29.

The first bit of CV29 changes the direction.

If the value of CV29 is an odd number subtract 1 from that value, if even add 1.

I found I had to do this to my Hornby class 42xx, which came factory fitted with a decoder but ran backwards.

Actually there are two ways of looking at this question of 'direction'.......I use the Elite controller which has Left & Right arrows on the screen...........I have found that all locos with decoder correctly fitted travel forwards ie boiler first, on the left arrow display irrespective of placement on track.........the alternative that I employ on my shelf layout, end to end, is to setup the locos so that the Elite direction arrows show the actual travel direction, ie left or right along the track irrespective of which way the loco is facing.  Clear as mud... 🤔  HB.

It is clearly (well almost) described in the RM manual about how the Elite and RM view normal loco forwards with respect to left and right and arrows and stuff and how to adjust said stuff to make this work to suit you across the controller and pc screen throttles.

It is clearly (well almost) described in the RM manual about how the Elite and RM view normal loco forwards with respect to left and right and arrows and stuff and how to adjust said stuff to make this work to suit you across the controller and pc screen throttles.

Archived