Multi-track running in DCC

Steamdrivendavy

I suggest you have a look at my document "Getting Started with Track Extension Packs" located in the locked thread of the same name at the top of the forum General Section. The contents of this document (particularly section 6) will answer your question and other related questions you haven't yet asked. Your specific question is answered on page 21 in the above document.

Note: If you currently have four separate tracks each with their own dedicated DC controller. Then you will need to remove the DC controllers and connect ALL four tracks electrically together to create one SINGLE powered track domain. This then connects to a single DCC controller. All locos on the layout will need to be upgraded to include a DCC decoder within the loco. Despite what you might have been told or read, do not try and operate an Analogue DC loco on a DCC layout. Technically, it can be done (but not with a R8213 Select. The R8213 does not support that feature), but if you do try to do this with a different DCC controller that supports that feature, you have a very high risk of damaging the loco electrical motor due to excessive heat being generated when the loco is stationary.

The R8213 Select does support a 'Walkabout' mode where you can cascade multiple Selects together to give additional control knobs. In this mode of operation. Only ONE power supply is connected to power ALL the cascaded Selects, and only ONE connection is made from the master Select to the track.

Personally, I wouldn't recommend the R8213 Select and would invest in a better controller.

Thank you.

'Locked thread'...?  Not sure what that means I'm afraid - sorry!  Could you please help me find the piece you refer to?

A locked thread is a thread or forum topic that is locked against being added to or amended. When you go to the forum home page the very top section says 'General Section'. Click the title to enter that section of the forum and the thread / topic I have described is the 2nd post down. If this is still too difficult for you to follow, then just click the link below:

Click this link

As I stated in my first reply. My document will give guidance regarding how to convert a DC to DCC layout and the wiring implications.

I suggest you have a look at my document "Getting Started with Track Extension Packs" located in the locked thread of the same name at the top of the forum General Section. The contents of this document (particularly section 6) will answer your question and other related questions you haven't yet asked. Your specific question is answered on page 21 in the above document.

Note: If you currently have four separate tracks each with their own dedicated DC controller. Then you will need to remove the DC controllers and connect ALL four tracks electrically together to create one SINGLE powered track domain. This then connects to a single DCC controller. All locos on the layout will need to be upgraded to include a DCC decoder within the loco. Despite what you might have been told or read, do not try and operate an Analogue DC loco on a DCC layout. Technically, it can be done (but not with a R8213 Select. The R8213 does not support that feature), but if you do try to do this with a different DCC controller that supports that feature, you have a very high risk of damaging the loco electrical motor due to excessive heat being generated when the loco is stationary.

The R8213 Select does support a 'Walkabout' mode where you can cascade multiple Selects together to give additional control knobs. In this mode of operation. Only ONE power supply is connected to power ALL the cascaded Selects, and only ONE connection is made from the master Select to the track.

Personally, I wouldn't recommend the R8213 Select and would invest in a better controller.

Davy, to find Chris's "locked" thread, get out of this DCC forum and go the the General forum.  Second post down is the one Chris is referring to.  See the padlock in its icon on the left of the title indicating it's locked so you can't add any more posts to it.

For easy conversion of your layout to DCC, you will need to do 4 things.  

First, you will need to remove the insulating fishplates you must have to isolate the 4 track circuits from each other and replace with standard metal ones.  

Second, you should fit those DCC point clips mentioned to each of your points.  

Third, the track connections you have for the 4 controllers, whether power clips or power tracks, will be DC types and won't work with DCC as they are.  Each will have a little black plastic box as part of them which you can flip open with a screwdriver or such.  Inside is a capacitor with its 2 legs wired across the power wires.  Clip it off at the legs and discard it.  Now you have DCC power connections.

Then fourth, just take all 4 track power wires you now have for the 4 DC controllers, and connect them to the one DCC controller ( you cannot connect more than one DCC controller to a single layout).

Chris, I think you'll find Select does support DC running on address 00, its eLink that doesn't.  But Davy, don't do it for the reason above.

Chris, I think you'll find Select does support DC running on address 00, its eLink that doesn't.

Yes quite correct....my mistake......covered on page 16 of the Select 1.4 manual

Archived