A Very Strange -and HOT-problem

Jimbo1707820979

I recently had my local dealer convert a "County of Bedford",a good runner on DC, to DCC. It is now up to all manner of tricks. At first it behaved OK on a very short trial run back and forth on my programming track. Later, heating up in the front area on the Programming track, but still moving. Subsequently it would not run at all on my main track but got very hot in the front boiler area. Seems peculiar, as the loco, I understand, is tender-driven.

So back to the dealer, where the naughty loco ran PERFECTLY on their layout. And with no heating up of the front of the engine. Naturally, I have left it with them to sort out but would like an answer to what seems to be an illogical puzzle. Is this a good example of "Sod's Law" ?  Clean wheels, clean track and everthing else running fine. 😛

It may be a daft question but having converted this loco to DCC you are not still running it on a DC track are you.

if not then what controller are you using and what power supply.

you understand that the normal current supplied to a programming track is inadequate to run a loc, that being the whole point of it being connected to the Prog terminals of the controller.

From previous posts, Jimbo originally had a Select that he favours for use with his Grandson, but also has an Elite.

The question I would be asking, but I can't think of a valid reason why I would be asking it is:

"When the loco overheats.....what controller was in use.......the Select or the Elite"

Eric's question is very valid....is the decoder in the smoke box where the excessive heat is evident?

Did this model ever have a smoke unit fitted, could the decoder installer have reinstated it?

Anything is possible. It would fit in with the OP's observations. The dealer's DCC controller system might have that function switched off by default. But by the same token I can't think how Jimbo's controller would have such a function on by default. Not only that, one would have expected the decoder upgrader (dealer) to mention it, if they had reinstated a smoke unit (due to the need for a suitable decoder or relay modification ie. to handle current), again if the dealer had done such an upgrade, then surely that would have triggered a comment about it from them when Jimbo queried the heat with them. Not being familiar with that model, I have no idea whether it ever had a factory smoke option.

Red Herrings and clutching at straws comes to mind..........but worth raising the query all the same......if only to be given some consideration.

Thanks, Gentlemen, for your useful inputs.

I think 2eO may have got to the knub of the problem i.e. where was the chip fitted ?   I cannot say for sure but it seems probable in the smoke box. Hence the heat. This model is definitely tender-driven so I guess there is nothing much inside the loco itself. Unfortunately the fitter was not in the shop to be asked. I don't think this second-hand loco ever had the smoke option. I bought it unboxed from a dealer stall at the Bournemouth Show in February after a running demo on DC. Nothing about smoke was said. So perhaps we can rule that out.

My main layout has a 4 Amp transformer and 2 power rails so power ok. I run DCC locos on it (but DC locos will run if unwisely risked on the track 🤐!)

My local dealer has several makes of controller wired up but not a Select. Maybe too basic 😆. Pity.  Anyway, the answer to the riddle should be forthcoming soon and I will post it so you all can have a good laugh.

Based upon Magfan's comment....an overheating smoke unit is a distinct possibility. If the decoder is in the tender, then a smoke unit in the loco may be picking up direct track power via loco pickups.

Archived